Bedroom Outlets Failed

I have a SD3270RES Trailer. No problems (really) until now. Noticed the 3 outlets in the bedroom have no power. The outlet for the washer/dryer works fine. Checked the GFI, reset it not change. Tripped all the breakers one by one no change. I understand that the GFI outlet should control these but it works fine. I can't believe that three outlets would fail at the same time. Opened the storage compartment on the curb side and looked for circuit breakers (nothing electrical found). Is there another "hidden" sub-box for the bedroom? If so, where did they hide it?

Kevin Coughlin

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: What did you do to your camper today?

Tried to figure out why the 110v outlets in the bedroom quit working Ugh!

That's usually either a wiring issue in a junction box (check under the bed), a tripped GFCI outlet (possibly in the bathroom), or a tripped circuit breaker on the main panel in the RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Any outlet on the outside of the trailer should be GFI protected, as well as those very near sinks. Think electrical shock protector. This includes the outlets in the Universal Docking Center, near the edges of the storage compartments, or in the refrigerator compartment. If ANY of these outlets work, the GFI probably is NOT tripped.

Lou_and_Bette

That's usually either a wiring issue in a junction box (check under the bed)

That's where my problem was. Also, check the first receptacle in the chain, wire may have worked loose which would kill power to all in the series. Pull the receptacle out of its box to ensure all the wires are actually making contact.

I want to thank everyone for the helpful tips. We went to see Mt. Washington NH today and I expected to work my problem tomorrow. Just finished dinner and found the outlets are all working. I will pull each outlet tomorrow to make sure the connections are tight. Either that or my trailer is huanted.

Thanks again!!

wdk450

If you pull your outlets, you are most likely in for a surprise. To aid the RV assembly line process, the manufacturers use insulation displacement connector outlets. These work like a Scotchlok brand wire connector, with a metal V that slices through the wire insulation and connects with the metal wire. Although these are UL approved, the arrangement results in a very small metal-to-metal contact area, which conducts larger amperages much more poorly than a traditional wire-to-screw outlet connection. After noticing a pilot light in an electrical heater flickering while in use, I removed the outlet, discovered how it was made, and ended up changing ALL the AC outlets in my rig to standard home-type AC outlets.

Check this website in the center of the page under the heading "Mobile Home Receptacles" to see illustrations of this type of outlet: https://www.electrical-forensics.com/Receptacles/ElectricalReceptacles.html

I have a SD3270RES Trailer. No problems (really) until now. Noticed the 3 outlets in the bedroom have no power. The outlet for the washer/dryer works fine. Checked the GFI, reset it not change. Tripped all the breakers one by one no change. I understand that the GFI outlet should control these but it works fine. I can't believe that three outlets would fail at the same time. Opened the storage compartment on the curb side and looked for circuit breakers (nothing electrical found). Is there another "hidden" sub-box for the bedroom? If so, where did they hide it?

Kevin Coughlin
I aplogize for my tardiness in reporting the solution. My power cord had a ground problem at the pedestial. The ground pin fell out when we were in NC, in Sept, found a new cord at CW. No issues since.