bedroom slide floor

Tweitekamp

I have a 2010 2998 RB sundance and I have noticed that the floor is soft on one of the corners. I thought a roller had broken off causing the underpin material to tear, but after inspection, the rollers are good but another piece of aluminum trim is messed up and rubbing. Anyway, the black material is torn and water has seeped in causing the floor to get soft in a 12x24" area. I have a appointment with my dealer to fix the problem and I want to fix it RIGHT. So my question is.....who has done this repair and what did you use. I am going to take the measurements and send to Heartland and they were going to order me a laminated piece that they now use in the slides. Is this the best product? I was thinking of a piece of solid oak, but he said it would be too heavy.

I just want to fix it 100% and not have to worry about this issue ever again.

I was doing a little preventative maintenance with clear silicon sealing up little gaps and was surprised how much of a gap was around the windows and such. I squirted in 2 tubes of the stuff just making sure all trim pieces and window gaps were as close to perfect as could be.

Once you have had a camper with water issues, you tend to go a little bananas making sure you don't have to deal with that problem ever again!!!

Again, any thoughts on how to properly deal with the bedroom slide repair would be greatly appreciated!

Todd

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Go with the laminated material and install aluminum trim (with caulking) to protect the exposed edges at the slide sidewalls. Several of us owners of older rigs have installed the trim, either after having some damage, or to prevent it. On my BH, the bedroom slide had protective trim, but the other three slides did not and the edges of the plywood flooring was exposed to varying degrees. Got mine covered before damage occurred.

Tweitekamp

Sounds like the laminated stuff is the way to go but is that a special order from heartland? When I called customar service it sounded like they had a fiberglassed product they use. Is this the same thing you were talking about? If it is, they said it would take 7-10 days to make. Ugh. I have a appointment to get it fixed December 2. Wondering if a piece of laminated plywood coated in truck bed liner would work? I figure if it was roughed up good and treated with 2 good coats of roll on truck bed liner if that would be heavy duty enough and water tight. I would then do the trim pieces on the sides sealed with caulk. That would definitely be better than the flakeboard the factory used! I am just not sure the factory can get me the product in time.

I would also do the .080 thick aluminum track for the rollers to ride on.

Let me know what you think of my hair brained idea please!

todd

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sounds like your bedroom slide floor is different than mine. Mine is a white laminated plywood and the other slides are black. The black, at least, used to be supplied by Parkland Plastics and was what owners were having a problem with. They have a plastic material that can be applied to cover worn areas on the underside, as well as a sealer/filler material for gouges.

An exterior grade plywood, coated with roll-on truck bed liner? Depends on how well the liner material stays on the plywood under the stress of going over the rollers. The biggest problem is with the exposed edges of plywood absorbing water that runs down the sidewall and gets into the plies. First line of defense is to cover the edges with aluminum trim. Attaching aluminum sheet, as you mentioned, to protect the roller contact areas should help protect the underside from the rollers digging in due to the pressure. I used strips of the Parkland plastic sheet for that.