Best Way To Get to Tulsa, OK

gunnere7

Will be traveling to Tulsa, OK in mid July and was wondering what the best route is? I will be traveling from south of Ft. Worth, TX and my main concern is low clearances and such since my Cyclone is pushing 13'5". The two routes I was looking at are up I-35 to OKC and across on I-44 or Hwy 69 to Indian Nation Turnpike and up. I have seen signs saying the max height on the turnpikes ar 13'6" and did not know if this is a regulation or are there low clearances. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Also, anyone have any preferences on the RV parks in Tulsa?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I would stick to I-35 into OKC and I-44 up from there. (I'm an expatriate OKIE by the way.)

scottyb

We traveled that route from further south, 6 round trips to MO in 3 years. After the 1st time, We decided to try to avoid OKC. We cut off I-35 at Davis, OK. Took Hwy 7 > Chickashaw Turnpike > Hwy 1 > US 377 > I-44 at Stroud, OK. Used that route 4 more times both ways. Good highway for the most part and actually shorter than OKC. Stay away from 69 through Sherman. One of the roughest routes I have ever been on.

HornedToad

I've traveled I-44 from the Red River to the Mississippi and don't remember any clearance issues. I did find this website listing the OKC to Tulsa Permit Height @ 14'...

https://www.pikepass.com/toll/TrafficClearance.aspx

What I do remember about drivin' on the Oklahoma Turnpike... it's like ridin' a skateboard down the sidewalk. It will make you up chuck... puke & pun intended!!!

avvidclif

I've traveled I-44 from the Red River to the Mississippi and don't remember any clearance issues. I did find this website listing the OKC to Tulsa Permit Height @ 14'...

https://www.pikepass.com/toll/TrafficClearance.aspx

What I do remember about drivin' on the Oklahoma Turnpike... it's like ridin' a skateboard down the sidewalk. It will make you up chuck... puke & pun intended!!!

Ka-thump, ka-thump, ka-thump, and on and on.

BLHFUN

We traveled that route from further south, 6 round trips to MO in 3 years. After the 1st time, We decided to try to avoid OKC. We cut off I-35 at Davis, OK. Took Hwy 7 > Chickashaw Turnpike > Hwy 1 > US 377 > I-44 at Stroud, OK. Used that route 4 more times both ways. Good highway for the most part and actually shorter than OKC. Stay away from 69 through Sherman. One of the roughest routes I have ever been on.

69/75---- Worst road ever. Especially with a long bed PU. 35 to 44 is far easier, but a little longer than Scotty's route. 4 times in a diesel pusher... Must be a good route. I personally hate it when my cruise control is interrupted.

scottyb

69/75---- Worst road ever. Especially with a long bed PU. 35 to 44 is far easier, but a little longer than Scotty's route. 4 times in a diesel pusher... Must be a good route. I personally hate it when my cruise control is interrupted.

That was towing the Cyclone 4100. We had 2 races each year in MO.

BLHFUN

That is hilarious - High School buddy of mine Brad Jackson ( Plano, Texas ) has been a Fuel Monkey for Spirit of Texas for years. I have not missed a Race since they opened Wheatland a few years back. He will be here in a few weeks but moved over to Nitrochondriac TFH team last year. Are you still running the series? I'm about an hour south in Springfield, MO and will be there again this year - What a small World!

Attachments

• SPIRIT AND NITRO.JPG
    SPIRIT AND NITRO.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 12

scottyb

I was the National Rescue Coordinator for Lucas Oil for the last 5 years and IHBA for 12 years before that. I was the 4100 Cyclone parked next to the tech building by the dirt track for the last 3 years. I resigned my Coordinator position at the end of last year, but I agreed to stay on as a rescue diver. I am only working 1/2 the races this year and Wheatland is not one of them. It will be the 1st time I have missed Wheatland. If you watch those videos, I was the 1st diver in when Spirit of Texas sunk in Marble Falls. We have a long history with that team and driver.

Oops! The last picture is in San Angelo. I will be attending that race.

Attachments

• IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 9

scottyb

Forgot to mention that DW was the timing technician running the clock for all of those years too.

BLHFUN

I use that lower drivers gate and have seen your rig several times. How crazy. Both Lory and I are certified divers as well. ( not rescue certified) But sure do love it. - Brad has asked us to come down to Marble Falls, TX several times. May have to make the trip one of these years.

Sorry for high jacking the thread!!

scottyb

Too bad you didn't stop by. One of the other racer's crew members and his wife stopped by in Lake Havasu to check out the Cyclone. They ended ended up with a 4200 the next year. We cooked on the patio with the Weber, for up to 30 people. Not too many choices for restaurants around there.