Big Country product review

DJBirk

My wife and I ordered than had to cancel a new 2015, 3150 Big Country due to health issues. Are plan is to order another one this winter but after reading the review in Trailer Life magazine on the exact model we ordered I have one big concern. Why would black tank water back into the kitchen sink when a hose is connected to the fresh water inlet. The editors said the confusion comes from having two intakes one labeled fresh water and the other labeled city water. They never found or least published the reason for the tank discharge into the kitchen sink. What gives?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hmmm... I haven't read the article yet but did look at pics. I know in my udc I have two inlets but one is for potable water and other is for black tank flush. How did author say he knew it was water from black tank backing up into the sink? Guess I need to go read it huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sitting here thinking about that issue. The only way that could happen is...if there was a "Closed" Valterra gate valve on the end of the main dump fitting. All the dump valves handles pulled open and the black tank flush was turned on....and left on tooo long. Now you smarter people out there, maybe I'm wrong.....so correct me. Sounds like pilot error to me. Someone screwed up and "it's someone elses fault".

J

Joel.Eberlein

The Big Countryteam here at Heartland was very excited to see the 3150RL featured on the coverof this month’s trailer life. There were some good points made by the editor.Specifically on furniture, which has been addressed on all current models. Inaddition, there is now a 58" Theater seat option if you want an alternativeto recliners. Regarding the UDC (which is the same on Landmark and BigHorn); the water connections, tank pulls, cable/antenna etc. are welllabeled. There is also a "cheat sheet" on the sidepanel with operational instructions and to help identify UDC features. Theissue the editor had was he hooked his freshwater hose to the black tank flush,left the valves open but had the cap on. As the tanks filled the water backfilled the plumbing and came out of the kitchen sink (lowest point).

If you have any further questions regarding the 3150RL orany Big Country models please contact Heartland direct. I am more than happy tohelp you.
Joel Eberlein |General Manager - Big Country & Elkridge | Heartland RV

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
That makes more sense now. Operator error. Lol

GOTTOYS

That makes more sense now. Operator error. Lol

There are times when I wonder if the staff at Trailer Life has ever actually used an RV. Some of the advice and incorrect information they dish out is unbelievable. Then the uninformed public gets hold of this and believes it because it came from the "experts" at Trailer Life. Overall that magazine makes a good fire starter...Don

DJBirk

My wife and I just sold a 2006 Bighorn that we bought new and modified to suite our needs and previously we owned travel trailers of various sizes and configurations. All served a purpose and met our expectations for the type of travel we were persuing. I have worked on most of the components on these trailers and have found many helpful articles in Trailer Life magazine that although not perferct gave good advice on tackling various problems. Combined with travel info and new product reviews and assisting owners with warrenty issues we feel they are a good unbiased source of info and leisurly reading. Not all readers xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Boca_Shuffles

To avoid the accidental connection to the Black Tank Rinse fitting, I used a black marker to paint some of the fitting black. I also wrote the word Black on the rubber cover of the connection.

LDMC

Even if the black water valve was left closed while flushing, it shouldn't come up in the Kitchen sink, maybe the toliet.

The kitchen sink should be the grey tank, not black, unless I'm missing something.

danemayer

Even if the black water valve was left closed while flushing, it shouldn't come up in the Kitchen sink, maybe the toliet.

The kitchen sink should be the grey tank, not black, unless I'm missing something.

Read the last part of post 5. It explains the bizarre setup that led to the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Somewhere in the manuals it also tells you not to flush the tanks with your valves closed too. I'm guessing they don't read directions or manuals

DJBirk

I guess you never read the review where they stated " and yes we had all the valves closed" Possible this would explain a bad valve seal from the factory?