Big Horn 3575el or Big Country 3650 rl

david5311

I am looking at these two units. Both about the same length and weight. We have a 2015 Chevy 3500 high country Diesel SRW. Most of our trips will be to a lake about two hours away. Maybe a longer trip every now and then. Sticker on door saids pay load is 3750 lbs. Gross weight rating of trailers are about 16,000 lbs. I know this will almost max out the truck. But does anyone else pull either one of these units with a SRW 1ton. Any issues with these units.

Thanks for all the help

danemayer

Hi david5311,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

We used to have a 2011 GMC 3500 Diesel SRW longbed 4x4 and towed our 16,000 lb Landmark all over the country. I think we racked up close to 30,000 miles towing before moving to our 2014 RAM dually.

The GMC did a very nice job towing and the longbed was very stable in crosswinds and with large trucks passing in either direction. Despite the actual pin weight of 3,500 lbs, the truck didn't squat and the trailer rode level.

chaplady

We own the BC 3650 rl tow it with the ford 350 single axle. We rarely have tanks filled that takes away several hundred pounds there. I don't remember what yellow sticker weight was coming out of factory but it was a tax more then the brochure stated as empty weight. We take our time it tows well behind truck. No air bags we still sit almost level.

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi Dave-
I talked to alot of people before moving from our travel trailer to our Big Horn 3685RL...I wanted to get the right truck the first time. The one thing most of the experienced people said, was to go with a 1 ton DRW. its been three years with a fifth wheel and it acts like everyone says. Feels great going down the road...we upgraded to a Moryde pin box also. My two cents, go big so you dont have to do it twice

-ira

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We had 2012 BC 3650RL and loved it. Love the butler counter which gave you lots more counter space. Our current coach is the Landmark Key Largo and I will admit that I miss the butler counter. We pulled it with a 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW diesel without any problems. The only thing we did was add air bags under the truck to help level it up just a little.
DSCN2888.jpg

WBG

WBGavin
I am looking at these two units. Both about the same length and weight. We have a 2015 Chevy 3500 high country Diesel SRW. Most of our trips will be to a lake about two hours away. Maybe a longer trip every now and then. Sticker on door saids pay load is 3750 lbs. Gross weight rating of trailers are about 16,000 lbs. I know this will almost max out the truck. But does anyone else pull either one of these units with a SRW 1ton. Any issues with these units.

Thanks for all the help

We have a 3570 RL (38' - 15,500 GVW) for that past three year and pull it with a 2010 F-350 SRW 6.4 L Diesel "Standard Bed" (that is not a long bed) It pulls like a dream. Have been above 12,000 feet with NO issues. Does great on the HWY with No Sway or any other issues. We use our truck quite a bit with the trailer disconnected, and appreciate the fact that it is NOT a DRW. A DRW is just that much harder to navigate in shopping centers and the like. If you are not planning on Moving On Up, I think you will be happier with a SRW. Just my 2 Cents.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have a 3570 RL (38' - 15,500 GVW) for that past three year and pull it with a 2010 F-350 SRW 6.4 L Diesel "Standard Bed" (that is not a long bed) It pulls like a dream. Have been above 12,000 feet with NO issues. Does great on the HWY with No Sway or any other issues. We use our truck quite a bit with the trailer disconnected, and appreciate the fact that it is NOT a DRW. A DRW is just that much harder to navigate in shopping centers and the like. If you are not planning on Moving On Up, I think you will be happier with a SRW. Just my 2 Cents.

I agree. Our current 3010 is tagged 14k GVW because of the 6K axles. Newer ones are 15.5K with 7K axles. The 3010's are nose heavy but we've had no towing issues with our '12 F350 SRW short box while traveling across our nation and north of the border.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david5311

Thanks everyone for the replies. This helps a lot. Was worried about weights being on high end of TV. We will never travel with more than 1/2 tank of fresh water. This Trailer is longer than I would like, 39', but we are pulling a 35' Travel Trailer now and shouldn't be much longer with 3 or 4 feet in bed of pickup. When Filling up with Diesel at Truck Stops does everyone fill up with the big rigs or do you try to fill up at the car pumps? I have seen some places it would be hard to get in and out of to get diesel.
Thanks for the Help

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This would be a good time to consider an auxiliary tank. I always hated pulling in with the rig hooked up. I found that there is not always a big rig station for fill ups. Not to mention the times I had to back out because there was no other exit.
We travel two days, drop the trailer at the CG and fill up solo.
It is definitely worth the expense, and it's not all that much.

Peace
Dave