Bighorn 3270 axel travel

Please help... I need to know what the vertical axle travel is for the BIGHORN 3270. The 3270 uses 2 Dexter 7000# axles. The 3270 frame/axle design is such that when the forward axle rises over a bump in the road, the rear axle drops by an equal amount. Then as the rear axle engages and rises over the bump the front axle drops down. This accomplished by a pivoting cross link between the two axles.

My wife & I purchased a new 3270 a couple weeks back contingent on the ability of the dealer to be able to get the unit up our driveway. The driveway test failed, the rear ladder hit first and broke off at the bottom. No sale! We had already planned our 1st trip.

The 3270 was very close to making the grade.

We like this model Bighorn and contacted a local paving contractor to modify the driveway grade. The contractor recommended that I make a full size frame mock up of the 3270 to test for actual clearance requirements. I have done so after spending several hours under the Bighorn at the showroom taking measurements & photos (8x10 glossy's with the circles & arrows?)

The mock up is ready to launch, about 600# of 2by's, screws, plywood. The mock up axle travel is adjustable and is currently set for a max vertical travel of +/-4.5" from level. This is my best guess. Can you tell me what the actual travel limit is?

Thnx, Phil

danemayer

Hi DRIVEWAYWOES,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Perhaps another forum member will have the answer for you. If not, you might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Let them know you're about to buy a Bighorn.

dewwood

I don't know the axle travel of the Bighorn but I am thinking it would be much cheaper to shorten the ladder than to redo your drive.

hoefler

Another question, is the trailer level when hooked to the truck??? This can have more affect than you can realize. lowering the hitch or raising the trailer may be needed to get the ground clearance on the rear.

- - - Updated - - -

Another question, is the trailer level when hooked up to the truck?? If not, you may need to lower the hitch or raise the trailer to get the clearance needed at the rear.

danemayer

Phil,

Your approach seems very detailed and thorough. But I'm kind of thinking that if you have to worry about the vertical travel of the axles, maybe you don't have enough margin in your driveway fix.

And I tend to agree that if the 3270 problem was simply hitting the ladder, I'd modify the ladder. Most people don't like the attached ladder and prefer to use free-standing ladders anyway.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
What's the pitch or grade of your drive? You're not likely to back it straight up your driveway even if you removed the bottom rung of the ladder. Too much beyond the rear axle before it ever comes into play.
Our driveway falls 5-6 ft over about 90 ft. Our 3010, same frame as the 3270, won't fit. I back mine in across the bottom of the driveway to a sod pad beside a side yard garage.
Picture taken from roadway looking toward the parking pad...
3406c8cf9a68da664a9b043f51548246.jpg

Goes up there nicely. My only concern when hitting my mark in reverse is the BH overhang comes very very close to the trucks bed rails due to the side to side movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk