Bighorn - Entertainment questions

We own a 2013 Bighorn 3010re. When we purchased it we figured it was a repo. The entertainment system, bedroom tv were missing. I have attached two pictures. One is where the entertainment system wiring is and the other is of the closet where the antenna connections are. There is a wire with a special plug coming out of the wall but I do not know what it is. We will be living in the 5er for about 7 months as we build a house. Can you tell me what the wire in the closet goes to and what entertainment system I need to replace the one that was taken. The tv in that area is still there. Can I use a regular stereo receiver in this area.
Thanks for the help I just want this all to work well. Any information you can provide me to include pictures and connection instructions will be appreciated

Attachments

• 20161218_140555.jpg
    20161218_140555.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 20161218_140652 (1).jpg
    20161218_140652 (1).jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:

Oregon_Camper

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Entertainment questions

The connection coming out of the wall with black connector is for satellite TV.

You can use any stereo you like, but if you ever need to use it on 12v vs 110v, you'll need to ensure you get replacement gear that works on 12v.

danemayer

The odd connector is for a Winegard Trav'ler rooftop satellite unit, if you ever wanted to install one.

On the sound system, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They should be able to tell you what was originally installed by the factory. Then you can probably pick up the same unit on Ebay. Sorting through the speaker wires could be a project.

mlpeloquin

We own a 2013 Bighorn 3010re. When we purchased it we figured it was a repo. The entertainment system, bedroom tv were missing. I have attached two pictures. One is where the entertainment system wiring is and the other is of the closet where the antenna connections are. There is a wire with a special plug coming out of the wall but I do not know what it is. We will be living in the 5er for about 7 months as we build a house. Can you tell me what the wire in the closet goes to and what entertainment system I need to replace the one that was taken. The tv in that area is still there. Can I use a regular stereo receiver in this area.
Thanks for the help I just want this all to work well. Any information you can provide me to include pictures and connection instructions will be appreciated

As a 2013 Big Horn, the original receiver may not be available. Ours is a Panasonic. Heartland uses several brands in the various rigs and they work and the equivalent would be the lower end of the manufactures product line.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Of course you already identified the satellite control plug.
The other wires would be your 12 power wire, your outside speaker wire,(if equipped) your bedroom speaker wires, living room speaker wires, and your sub woofer wires.
You'll have to do some testing to see which is which.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Papadaddyo - congrats on your Bighorn!

You've gotten some great info here from other product owners. I just wanted to jump in to agree with some of the info and to give you a tip.

First, that odd connector as has been pointed out, is in fact the control cable for a Winegard Trav'ler roof-mounted satellite dish. The control cable is placed there during the manufacturing process. Heartland has never offered a satellite dish option but places the cable so you can easily have one added.

Yes, you can use nearly any stereo receiver you wish. Bear in mind those speaker wires likely feed to some small ceiling mounted speakers. If you buy a higher end, high power receiver, do not expect much from the speakers. Some have replaced those speakers with better ones.

The tip is how to identify which wire goes to which speaker. Note that the wires appear to be in pairs where 2 conductors are semi-connected to one another, similar to a lamp cord. It's likely that the conductor with the colored stripe is the positive.

Strip 1/2" of insulation from the each conductor of each wire pair. Separate each pair from the other pairs and prepare to label each pair.

Using an AA battery (or AAA, C or D), place one conductor from one pair on the bottom of the battery. Then touch the other conductor from the same pair to the top of the battery for a fraction of a second, then remove it. You should have heard a scratching sound come from one of the speaker as you energized the coil with the power from the battery. Mark that wire pair as to which speaker it was. Continue until you've identified all speaker wire pairs.

Once you have that done, hooking up your replacement stereo will be much simplified.

pegmikef

I have basically the same rig. The flat cable in the living room is the HDMI cable that goes to your TV from whatever system you decide on. Mine is a Sony surround sound system with four or five speakers in the ceiling and the bass speaker in the cabinet on the right side of the fireplace. I installed a sound bar at the top of the fireplace so I really only use the system to play DVDs and CDs. The info on the system in my rig is at the following link:

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Electronics/Surrnd_Snd/Sony/Sony DAVTZ140.pdf

Along with what Jim said, this may help figure out the speaker wiring and other wiring should you get the same system. If your rig is like mine there are no bedroom speakers, and there is a separate radio/cd player in the basement on the door side that drive the outside speakers. Good luck.