Bighorn packages

chunker

This fall I plan to get a new 5th wheel and have been researching "better" ones. I currently have an Itasca Horizon which is the higher end of that model. Real wood throughout, higher end appliances, etc. Yes I know that any 5th wheel won't have the stability and solid build of a DP on a Freightliner chassis. I had a Raptor toy-hauler before and several TT in "past life". One model I have been strongly considering is the Grand Design Solitude. Yesterday I got some information on the Heartland Bighorn and it has many features I like. I'm looking at ones that are shorter, 36-38'+- with GVWR under 16K. I have spent a fair amount online on the Heartland web site and they don't seem to want to provide a lot of specific information.

There is a "build and price" but gives no pricing and doesn't explain why packages contain. Example is the Premier and other packages. No information what items they contain. On the GD Solitude build and price the site tells what a package contains and what it costs. Nothing I can find on Heartland's site. Asking dealers is pretty useless as we know. The model that piques my interest is the Bighorn 3160 and I looked a bunch of ads on rvtrader and the dealers advertising give little useful info either.

So how is a person supposed to gather credible information about a Heartland product? Does anyone have links to accurate package features and/or a pricing for a unit ordered?

danemayer

Hi Chunker,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

There's some MSRP pricing info at this post. It's from 2017, but pricing today is probably not very different. Available options may have changed a bit.

You can get package, feature, and option questions answered by calling Heartland at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for Bighorn Sales.

chunker

Hi Chunker,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

There's some MSRP pricing info at this post. It's from 2017, but pricing today is probably not very different. Available options may have changed a bit.

You can get package, feature, and option questions answered by calling Heartland at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for Bighorn Sales.

Thanks for the info. I'm curious why Heartland wants to make it difficult for a potential buyer to assemble credible information. I hate trying to get anything beyond basic information from a dealer because the salesman who is on his/her 4th day there usually knows nothing. One who had been on the job all of 2 weeks made the statement that the Montana was one of the best 5th wheels. You knew that because there are so many out there.

I should be able to go online and see exactly what a trailer has as standard and what components are with various options. I should also be able to know what the factory pricing is for this. I also picked up a brochure and not much to work with there too. There are a lot of manufacturers making all kinds of grandiose claims the most egregious I see is "luxury". If everything in the line is luxurious, what is their standard? In real estate it's call puffery.

The fact that Thor owns Heartland is a major strike against them so I would think they would try to be helpful to a customer. Enough of my rant.

danemayer

Thanks for the info. I'm curious why Heartland wants to make it difficult for a potential buyer to assemble credible information. I hate trying to get anything beyond basic information from a dealer because the salesman who is on his/her 4th day there usually knows nothing. One who had been on the job all of 2 weeks made the statement that the Montana was one of the best 5th wheels. You knew that because there are so many out there.

I should be able to go online and see exactly what a trailer has as standard and what components are with various options. I should also be able to know what the factory pricing is for this. I also picked up a brochure and not much to work with there too. There are a lot of manufacturers making all kinds of grandiose claims the most egregious I see is "luxury". If everything in the line is luxurious, what is their standard? In real estate it's call puffery.

The fact that Thor owns Heartland is a major strike against them so I would think they would try to be helpful to a customer. Enough of my rant.
If you do call Heartland Sales, be sure to pass along your thoughts.

dave10a

I agree--- there are other mfg's that are more forthright about their pricing and construction detail. It is a mystery to me why Heartland is so secretive about their construction and pricing. I get the feeling they are trying to hide something... :)

NYSUPstater

Couches RV Nation has a price/build worksheet online for lines they sell, but sadly, the BH line isn't 1 of them. What does everyone have against Thor? Is Forest River any better? Seems it all depends on the particular brand from each parent company. A Ford Focus may not be the best of quality compared to a Lincoln, and a Chevy Cruze (just like the Focus) compared to a Caddy.

CDN

B and B
First hand Forest River is not better. That is why we have a Bighorn. The quality, design, dealer support are top notch.

danemayer

I sent an email to sales today expressing some of my concerns and asking for links for the information I was seeking. Guess we'll see how responsive they are.
Calls usually work better than emails. And if you haven't found links already, they may not exist. So if you want the information, you're better off calling.

orion7144

Holman RV in the Cincinnati area has the MSRP sheets online for their listed RV's. They will also gladly send you a copy of a build sheet. They sell over 200 units a month so there is no pushy sales people.

CoveredWagon

Thanks next month we'll be in the WI and MI area and I'll keep that dealership in mind.

it was worthwhile for us to deal with her. We drove across the state just to view a Rv we didn’t buy. She showed us the Bighorns and it was love at first sight. Ok ok but she made us a deal we couldn’t refuse. Good luck.

I purchased mine at Lakeshore RV also, but dealt with John Sobczak.
I was extremely happy with deal I received.
4 1/2 hr drive for me fron East to West side of Michigan, but worth it.
Hockster