Bighorn Problems

Our coach only 2 yrs old. Nothing but problems. Have a bighorn 3875. Have had to change anode rod in water heater, have wheel bearings re- packed and currently have a water leak with ice maker. Have to take it in since commercial refrig. can't be removed by an average person. The rubber roof is not tough enough and we have holes. For a livable, zero rated coach it is a lemon. All the plastic hoses r junk. Should withstand vibration for a full time rv.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Njoyarizona and welcome to this great forum.
I've moved your post to its own thread.
The anode rod and wheel bearing repack are normal maintenance items.
Those having leaks from the ice maker line have been able to replace that tubing their selves.
Have you determined what caused the holes in your rubber roof? They are actually pretty durable.

Peace
Dave

Hello Njoyarizona and welcome to this great forum.
I've moved your post to its own thread.
The anode rod and wheel bearing repack are normal maintenance items.
Those having leaks from the ice maker line have been able to replace that tubing their selves.
Have you determined what caused the holes in your rubber roof? They are actually pretty durable.

Peace
Dave
Where's the tubing? Don't have an access panel outside. Water leaking outside of coach not inside. Believe coming from back of fridge. Not sure if I'm using this forum correctly.

jimtoo

If you will look outside under the slide where the refrigerator sets you will find wiring and a clear plastic line for the ice maker. That is most likely your water leak.

kowAlski631

We routinely check expendables such as the anode rod. Wheel bearings are also repacked as needed. How many miles have you put on your Big Horn?

CoveredWagon

On our 3270 there is an ice maker drain line, at least I believe that's what it is. When I first started the ice maker I opened the valve under the sink but also found water draining outside near the rear of the coach. Once I closed that valve and UNPINCHED the water line behind the fridge I had water to the ice maker. I found a pinched loop in the water line to the ice maker behind the removable panel outside behind the refrigerator. Wife was happy.

danemayer

I'm guessing since you mentioned zero-rated that you've been in sub-freezing weather, or perhaps even sub-zero weather.

If exposed to sub-freezing temps, you must evacuate water from the refrigerator water feed line or it will break.

If you're doing cold weather camping, I'd suggest you take a look at our Water Systems Winter Usage Guide, and the Residential Refrigerator Guide, both in this folder.

Thank u for all the info. Will try. Have about 1500 miles on it. Will let everyone know of outcome when all the rain stops.

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
Njoyarizona, sorry for you problems. We all seem to come across them. But stay on the forum for the best advice. Alot of great people and
good advice. Wish you all the best.

Terri:rolleyes:

BobTheBuilder

I have a Bighorn and my ice maker line was leaking. I did not know the source of the leak until I combed through the forum and found pin holes in them are a common occurrence. However, mine was below the flooring just behind the fridge unit. Take off the bottom vent and you should see a white/clear plastic line coming from above and going through the floor. In the basement I had to remove the main access panel next to the UDS and found the shut off for it (I think that is a bad choice of where to put it).

I am new to Heartland but not to RVs. Once I made a buying decision I spent probably 100+ hours combing this forum and reading what I thought would be relevant posts. I cannot tell you how helpful it was in setting realistic expectations of what might give problems, in quickly taking care of many minor issues that would have been very frustrating had I not already learned of them and knew how to take care of them.

I agree with those who say QC should be better but this is my 3rd big unit and is far superior to the last one that was very expensive and highly touted unit. I am working on the things that can be corrected/improved and really like my Bighorn. I think a big difference is in whether or not an owner is hands-on and enjoys it. A lot of big motor coaches have many issues--I'd be very ticked if I paid what they do and had the problems they have.