Bike Carrier Pin Box Adaptor

Where do you put your bicycles on your fifth wheel when you go on a trip? Most seem to be hanging off the back of the RV, but if you remember riding in the back of the bus, that’s where you will get the most violent shaking. And I even met a gentleman who lost two new bikes and a brand new bike carrier on the side of the road – never to be found because the bike carrier broke. I’ve seen them mounted in front of the truck, but that blocks some of your view never mind taking the brunt of the bug hits and road dirt. I’ve seen them on top of the truck cab, but that’s a bit hard to mount and un-mount the bikes. But what about mounting a bike carrier on the pin box? There you get some protection from road dirt, you get a smooth ride now that you’re over the truck's rear wheels and in addition, utilizing the pin box air bag's shock absorption, and with a small step ladder you can mount and un-mount the bikes pretty easy. Plus, you can take the bike carrier off the fifth wheel and put it on the truck when you un-hitch and want to drive to a bike path. So that’s what I did. I designed a pin box adapter to accept a Hollywood Racks HR1000 Sport Rider 2, $238.49 on Amazon. This bike carrier was perfect for my needs.

• It weighs 35 Lbs. (w/o the bikes)
  • Bike capacity of 45 lbs. per bike, two Bikes/90 lbs. max
  • Hitch Size: fits both 1 ¼” and 2”
  • Maximum bike wheel base: 60”

The adapter is made out of ¼” flat plate steel, and welded all the joints. I also bought a 90 degree valve stem extension and a stainless steel flexible braided wire valve stem extension to be able to adjust the air pressure in my pin box air bag. And mounted it such that the air fill stem is now on the side of my bike carrier adapter.

Next, I wanted to keep my two-way jumbo level on the front of the pin box. So I designed the adapter front surface large enough to accept the level. Finally, I decide to go with a 1 ¼” square receiver tube by CURT (#49512). Most bike carriers come with the 1 ¼ x 1 ¼ tube and then use an adapter to get to a 2 x 2 tube. The receiver tube was cut to length to meet my specific needs. Note, the receiver tube length will need to be adjusted to give you your specific clearance from the RV and the truck cab. My truck is an 8 foot bed and the fifth wheel is a Bighorn 3455RL.

I'd like to add some pictures here, but didn't see where I could upload them, only a link.

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi jalanjackson,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. You should be able to post pictures after making one more post on the forum.

There has been a couple that have made an adapter or receiver for the pin box to carry their bikes. I'm sure you will get more from our other members soon.

Jim M

I am moving thread to better area also.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are trying to figure this out as well . . .

Our previous bumper pull Heartland Trail Runner had the rear slide-out bumper bike rack . . . our new Heartland Prowler 5th-wheel trailer doesn't!

Our mountain bikes haven't left the hooks in our garage since we got our new trailer last spring . . .

The slide out bumper rack was nice . . . but a real PITA to use.

My waist line is getting bigger and I need to figure this out . . . and those folding bikes from Camping World are not an option!

CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg CheyenneMntSunset-IMG_2100.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg ProwlerViewFTCKOA-P1000200.jpg

Lance & Jo

Have built 2, one for the original Lippert pin box and this one for the Trail Air. Both work well. Improved on the design after seeing a couple others at the 2011 Goshen rally

2. Bike Rack.JPG

kdubinwa

Thanks Lance. Any chance you could post some close ups so we could see how you attached it and imitate a good design?

Kurt

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a rotator cuff issue, so the pin box bike rack probably won't work for me.

Any other ideas?

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
JohnD, We installed a front mount receiver hitch on our old 2007 2500HD and on our current TV Ram 2500 Laramie. Yakima and Thule make carriers that fit the receiver. Easy install and the bikes ride fine up front. It's easier to see them fall off and you can feel the bikes under the truck as you drive over them. Much better than them falling off the back of the 5VR and it could be miles before you know you lost them. Can't swear by it, just campfire stories I've heard.:confused:

Lance & Jo

Thanks Lance. Any chance you could post some close ups so we could see how you attached it and imitate a good design?

Kurt

Easy to build, especially for a level pin box such as this. Things to remember: Leave enough room for bikes to clear front cap and don't go cheap on the bike carrier. My first one failed while on the back of the truck traveling across Ohio, would have been much less good if it had been on the trailer at the time.DSCN0769.JPGDSCN0766.JPGDSCN0767.JPG