Black water tanks. Flushing and cleaning questions and comments

dewwood

Like Mattman, I have wondered about using the black tank flush at full hookup sites. I do use a separate hose as well as sanitizing the spigot at the site. I think he has the option of dumping into his septic at home as I do, that is a big plus. I will put 5 to 10 gallons of water back into the black tank for the ride home and with it sloshing around during the trip it loosens more debris. I then flush again at home and that normally gets most of the debris out of the tank. I always leave water in the black tank to slosh around as I think this does as much as anything to break loose "stuff". The only time I completely drain the black tank is when I winterize.

I realize a lot of people do not have the option of dumping or reflushing that Mattman has but if that is an option i think this is the best way. I know when setup long term it is difficult to get the black tank completely clean. We usually are not long term so has not been a problem.

BusManRG

So many different styles! Absolutely separate hoses. And we always take advantage of full hookups to do a thorough flush. I'm going to switch from bleach to Quat for cleaning the fittings. At the spigot, hubby uses a splitter and a backflow preventer so he can have both hoses hooked up.

We have recently gone back to the "Geo Method" and add water softener and Dawn to the black tank and occasionally to the gray hoping to clean up those darn sensors!.

Sandy

farside291

3 hoses here, two for blacks and 1 for fresh. I always flush both tanks for a minimum of 30 minutes. Sensors still don't work. I even tried the water softener and dawn dish soap with 20 gallons of water. Drove 400 miles with it sloshing around and they still don't work. I drain when the toilet burps. The sensors never were accurate anyway.