Broken actuator now leaking all over floor

bhl

Hi,
this morning a small piece of plastic broke off at the back of the foot pedal and the ball flush wouldn't operate. The water still worked. This afternoon I was trying to see if I could manually activate the ball and suddenly water started gushing out. Turned off the pump, but of course now no water in van - this is domestic...
I looked through the paperwork and there is a Thetford booklet and close as I can tell it's an AquaMagic Style II. I can't see the plumbing to see if there is an isolation tap but will remove the covering under the van tomorrow to have a look.
Any ideas? I need to at least isolate the toilet water so I can use the other taps.
TIA,
Bryan

bhl

On our rig, there wasn't a cut-off valve for the toilet. Generally, a cut-off valve is NOT installed.
I noticed in an older thread a reply mentioned installing a cut-off valve. I was quietly hoping things may have changed.
I will have to go into town tomorrow and get one - or a bung at least - and see if I can order parts from the local van centre. I have already talked to them and Dometic are used here. Let's hope Thetford are too... We are in Australia and it is not like North Trail are popular as in Nth America.

david-steph2018

If the cable is pulled loose or broken, it can't be repaired you will need a new toilet. We had to replace our last summer, 2023, for the same reason.

Before you go, measure the distance from the center of the bowl to the rear wall to see how much room there is. This way you will have a good idea of what may fit without any modifications needed.

bhl

Hi David,
the hose hasn't pulled loose. It is something in the valve assembly operated by the foot pedal. It will have to be replaced to actuate the ball flush anyway. The water problem was caused by me fiddling around with part of that mechanism...

david-steph2018

If you have to buy a new toilet, and it is the same model, strip the old toilet of parts and keep them. Water vacuum and water valve assemblies are easy to replace, but sometimes to find new. While doing the repair work, install a cut-off valve.

bhl

Gotta love You-Tube instructional videos. I found one about replacing all those parts and that showed me what's happened.

The lug on the waste ball drive arm is what broke off this morning.

I was playing with the water valve assembly and accidentally stupidly rotated it and it un-clipped itself allowing water to flow out. I haven't been able to push it back in. The whole toilet is going to have to come out anyway to replace the waste ball drive arm so hopefully I will be able to re-seat the valve assembly then - or just take the toilet into the van shop and let them do it...

I will get a bung for the water fitting tomorrow so I can get water to the other outlets in the mean time...

bhl

Good luck with the repair. Keep us posted.
Thanks David.

Today I got the pedal off without removing the whole unit, and was able to re-insert the water valve with no leaks, so the water is back on.

I have only seen whole kits for the vacuum ball assembly, not just the drive arm, which is all I need. Will talk to the local van place next time I am in town.