Bulb replacement - How do you get to it?

MTPockets

How do you get the cover off my ceiling lights to replace a burnt out bulb? I'm pulling the fixture down a bit in this pic. It's apparently held in with a spring. Nothing anywhere in the manual. I can't get it to screw off either. I'm sure it's easy if you know the trick

IMG_0568.jpg

danemayer

Hi MTPockets,

As you pull it down a bit, hold the shaft and rotate the flange counter-clockwise a little. I don't remember exactly, but I don't think you have to rotate it very far before you can pull the flange and lens away from the can. Don't touch the new bulb - skin oils can damage it.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Dan is correct. On mine I did not have to pull the fixture down but it does make it easier to turn the lens off.

You will have to turn it counter clockwise but only about a quarter of a turn. The glass is rough and has a tendency to not want to turn.

DSC_0711M.jpg DSC_0713M.jpg

Notice the arrow pointing to a small white tab. This tab sets into a grove shown in the second photo. About a quarter turn should release it.
I have had a problem with the entire fixture turning making it hard to remove the lens.

Hope this helps.
BC

nscaler2

I have used that sticky shelf rubbery stuff that my wife stacks between the dishes when we travel, to get a grip on the lens. With the sticky rubber they twist off like said above in about a quarter of a turn.

MTPockets

Well, I've tried everything I can think of and can't get that cover to budge. I even tried to get a grip with my oil filter wrench. That lens will not budge. it feels like it's being held in mechanically. There are a couple little metal tabs (Don't know wht they do) on the fixture housing. Do they need to be removed? Could I have a different model fixture? (It looks the same as your pics) I'm afraid I may break the lens cover. Ideas? Will a call to the factory get the same info?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would then pull the whole fixture out. It is just spring clipped in and wired with wire nuts. Then you should be able to twist the lens off. It is probably just on a little cockeyed.

MTPockets

GOT IT!..... Actually, I knew all along how to do it; this was just a test to see who knew... You all passed...... Good job.

donr827

I have the same fixture as MTPOCKETS. What is the bulb number so that I can have a replacement bulb on hand?
Don

guyc66

I have the same fixture as MTPOCKETS. What is the bulb number so that I can have a replacement bulb on hand?
Don

The replacement is G4 style 12-volt 20 watt clear halogen bulb. You can pick them up at Walmart, etc. but they are about $6 for a twin pack. I ordered a bunch from the following website and get them for about $1 each with shipping. If anyone knows of a better price hopefully they will chime in.

http://www.bulbstock.com/products/Halogen/Bipin/12573.html

MTPockets

As my bulbs go out I will be replaceing them just one time, with led. nuff said.

LED's .... yeah, that's my plan too on the G4's.. Already did the 921's over the dining table with LED's that are a bunch brighter than the 921's. Almost as good as a regular 110v lights...

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can you give us the info on what LEDs you are using? So far in the year that we have lived in our coach full time, I have actually had to change very few bulbs. But if the LED for over the table is brighter, it might be worth the extra cost for the LEDs.

ZNK

Dad,

Let me know if you try these out. I'd like to convert to LED at some point maybe if they work better and are brighter. However, I dont want the light to be too fake, sometimes LED lights are just too white.

MTPockets

Dad,

Let me know if you try these out. I'd like to convert to LED at some point maybe if they work better and are brighter. However, I dont want the light to be too fake, sometimes LED lights are just too white.

This is a valid concern.... The #921 bulbs I purchased are a softer light, not that bright white. In fact the first two I purcased were the bright white. I removed them reight away and found the good ones at the Tampa RV show early this year. Better to ask about the light color before buying.

ZNK

That good to know. Not a fan of the fake light...If I wanted to be in a tanning bed id go tanning! :p