Bypass Switch

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim I'm really happy with my solar. It really does fill in the gaps in keeping the batteries at 100%
Most of the time I'm plugged in to 50amp shore power so I'd say 80% of the time it's not doing anything at all.
I need to figure out a way to tie it into my house system so I can sell it back to PG&E 😎

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

crussian

I may have to redesign the compartment, betwee the onan and the two batteries i have now, no room for two more unless i stack them. Maybe mount in basement, next to wall, then drill a hole to pass thru the cables.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have 4 batteries from American battery a local manufacturer here.
I'm guessing on this disciption of them because it's not here right now.
They are group 27 Deep cycle maintenance free RV/Marine batteries.

cdec3cc4fcc2062809f572f5f546d176.jpg

Great set up! I will be right over for one!

LBR

I may have to redesign the compartment, betwee the onan and the two batteries i have now, no room for two more unless i stack them. Maybe mount in basement, next to wall, then drill a hole to pass thru the cables.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
That is what my plans are also is for the compartment with the extra batteries....not enough room in the front compartment for them.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

What ever you do to come up with more room for extra batteries. Make sure they are well vented and you have quick and easy access to them. And a quick disconnect to isolate them. I
Just in case you have a dead short in the RV or one of the batteries.
Just something to think about when you're planning out your project.

Jerrod

CDN

B and B
Nice install of 4 batteries Jerrod.

I am thinking of moving my battery disconnect from the front compartment to by my level up controls. Reason is sometimes when hooked up I can not get into the front bay. Anyone done this?

Brian

Oregon_Camper

Nice install of 4 batteries Jerrod.

I am thinking of moving my battery disconnect from the front compartment to by my level up controls. Reason is sometimes when hooked up I can not get into the front bay. Anyone done this?

Brian

Why would you want to disconnect the batteries while camping (you said "when hooked up)

CDN

B and B
Why would you want to disconnect the batteries while camping (you said "when hooked up)

I have forgotten to turn them on prior to hitching. Also when going to the storage lot it would be easier for the DW to get to the switch to turn it on to deploy the slides.

danemayer

I'm wondering how you get hitched up or unhitched if the battery cutoff is OFF. No power to the front landing gear.

Oregon_Camper

I'm wondering how you get hitched up or unhitched if the battery cutoff is OFF. No power to the front landing gear.
Probably on shore power. Even if switch is off...landing gear will still work if on shore power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DirtyMax88

On our LM, we are able to retract and extend our front landing gear with our batteries turned off and not connected to shore power. Now I don't know if it supposed to be like that, but it is. I wonder if others are able to do this as well....

Oregon_Camper

On our LM, we are able to retract and extend our front landing gear with our batteries turned off and not connected to shore power. Now I don't know if it supposed to be like that, but it is. I wonder if others are able to do this as well....

That is exactly how they are suppose to be wired. Battery cutoff only cuts off battery...the converter (while plugged in or on generator) will still provide 12v to the busbar and all 12v items will work.

danemayer

That is exactly how they are suppose to be wired. Battery cutoff only cuts off battery...the converter (while plugged in or on generator) will still provide 12v to the busbar and all 12v items will work.

All with probable exception of the generator start, and the breakaway circuit because they're likely connected before the cutoff switch.

And the residential refrigerator doesn't get any power from the converter; only from batteries or from shore power. The point being that without batteries, in a power outage, the residential refrigerator won't run.

And the leveling system MAY work from the converter without batteries. Given that sometimes the leveling system can be balky with both converter output and batteries, I think converter alone might not be reliable.

Oregon_Camper

All with probable exception of the generator start, and the breakaway circuit because they're likely connected before the cutoff switch.

Even with cutoff in "off" position, the breakaway is still powered by battery. You can not disable that, other than disconnecting batter terminals. I think we are saying the same thing..???

I don't have a generator, so I will default your expertise on this one. :cool:

And the residential refrigerator doesn't get any power from the converter; only from batteries or from shore power. The point being that without batteries, in a power outage, the residential refrigerator won't run.

Agree...that is why I said "while plugged in or on generator". In my scenario, the coach would have AC power (cutoff in "off" potion) ....the residential refrigerator would run on direct AC, not inverter.

The point being that without batteries, in a power outage, the residential refrigerator won't run.

Not sure how you jumped to a power outage. The OP was about relocating the cutoff switch, so I was responding to situations where he could have cutoff in "off" position but still be attached to shore power (or generator)

Indeed if cutoff is in "off" position and his AC power is no longer available (shore or gen) then he would be without power to refrigerator via inverter.

the leveling system MAY work from the converter without batteries. Given that sometimes the leveling system can be balky with both converter output and batteries, I think converter alone might not be reliable.

In theory, it should work on converter power alone, but I have never attempted this, and hope I'm never in a situation where I need to do this.

Perhaps the diagram below will help more, as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". :cool:

Capture.jpg

BusManRG

Not very well.... To low of voltage and the solinoid will start chattering.

Yep! An issue that we had a few weeks after taking delivery of our BH. Posted the problem and Jerrod came over, voltage tester in hand! After eliminating all the other potential problems, they noticed the battery disconnect was on. With the added oomph from the battery, the level-up worked perfectly! Thanks again for that Jerrod. We would never have guessed, assuming that shore power was more than adequate.

Sandy

I just bought a bighorn yesterday and man there is a lot of things different on this than the cheaper brands/models I came from! I am excited to learn about all the cool features on this rv. Great info on this thread 👏🏻👍🏻