Cheater Cord - 30 & 15 amp combiner

dmreece

Got this advertisement the other day. Anyone have experience with these? It says we can use both a 30 and 15 amp circuit at the same time. That would allow (in the absence of a 50 am circuit) to run with in theory 45 amp using both A/Cs etc. At $37 that's a reasonable cost, but I would hate to hurt the electrical systems of my rig. It would nice if one of the Heartland technical wizards say ok or not.

http://www.adventurerv.net/cynder-a...medium=email&utm_campaign=Specials_01_13_2018

Thanks,
David Reece
2013 Bighorn 3010RE
2014 Ford F250 - Super-glide 1600 hitch

danemayer

Re: Cynder RV 30 & 15 amp combiner

If a power pedestal has a 30 amp receptacle and breaker, and a 15 amp receptacle and breaker, there's theoretical 3600 watts from the 30 amp receptacle and another 1800 watts from the 15 amp receptacle.

Problem is, you don't know how the power pedestal has been wired. Sometimes the power coming to the pedestal will only be 30 amps; the assumption being that you won't try to pull full power from both receptacles at the same time.

MCTalley

If a power pedestal has a 30 amp receptacle and breaker, and a 15 amp receptacle and breaker, there's theoretical 3600 watts from the 30 amp receptacle and another 1800 watts from the 15 amp receptacle.

Problem is, you don't know how the power pedestal has been wired. Sometimes the power coming to the pedestal will only be 30 amps; the assumption being that you won't try to pull full power from both receptacles at the same time.

I'm wondering, too, what would happen if the 30 amp is on a different leg than the 15 amp.

danemayer

I'm wondering, too, what would happen if the 30 amp is on a different leg than the 15 amp.
If on a different leg with the same phase, best case I think it would be like having a 30 amp receptacle that had been upgraded to 45 amps. If different phase, it would be more like having a typical 50 amp receptacle where both legs are underpowered.

I'm not sure there's risk to the RV. But there might be risk of overloading the pedestal or wiring upstream. You could pull 5400 watts total without tripping a breaker on the pedestal. But if the pedestal and wiring upstream are rated for 3600 watts, that might be a problem.

BlackT

Re: Cheater Cord - 30 & 15 amp combiner

I tried one of those things. It will not work if the electrical supply is protected by GFCI receptacles. As soon as you plug it in, it trips the GFCI. I haven't been to a park yet that at least the 110v receptacle wasn't GFCI. I think they probably have to be per electrical code. Hence, I've never been able to use it.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

I bought one about 5 yrs ago and never used it. I recall reading that surge protectors wouldn't let them online. I'm not sure if they try to combine the power or put 30 amps on one leg and 15 on the other of a 50a plug.Either way, you can have mine for postage

CDN

B and B

I have a 50 amp to dual 30 amp Progressive splitter. I use this to get dual 30 amp in Provincial parks. Each pedestal has 2 30 amp on separate legs and also 2 15 amp GFCI. I have many options available with separate breakers. I can run both AC units with this setup.

Kathi-27

is there any way to fix from tripping gfci? why does it trip gfci? I have ohm all the wire there is no cross over all wire ohm separate to each plug.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

is there any way to fix from tripping gfci? why does it trip gfci? I have ohm all the wire there is no cross over all wire ohm separate to each plug.
Are you trying to use one of the cheaters mentioned in this thread.
If so, don't.

Peace
Dave

Kathi-27

Are you trying to use one of the cheaters mentioned in this thread.
If so, don't.

Peace
Dave
can't use it. trips gfci on the 15/20 amp gfci plug. it would be nice to be able to use it when needed for short term, like just over night stay when traveling.. 30 amp is usually cheaper and more available than 50 amp. if have residential frig it doesn't work if only on 30 amp plug. need the other leg for power to it and bedroom a/c.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I would say a safer approach would be to either run an extension cord off of the 20 amp plug on the pedestal into the RV to run a couple of things (like the residential fridge or electric heaters), or I've also seen a few mods where some RV'ers have installed some outlets inside and hooked them up to a separate plug on the outside of their RV's to run electric heaters and such so as not to pop a breaker every time you want to toast a bagel!

If I were still full-timing I was thinking of doing this very thing!

Just a random thought to ponder...

Footnote: Now that I live about as far south as you can get in the desert south west I'm trying to decide if I should keep those electric heaters! :cool:

porthole

Retired

They do not work with GFCI circuits.
The do not work if the receptacles are on the same power feeds. L1 or L2 in the panel, but not both L1 & L2

can't use it. trips gfci on the 15/20 amp gfci plug. it would be nice to be able to use it when needed for short term, like just over night stay when traveling.. 30 amp is usually cheaper and more available than 50 amp. if have residential frig it doesn't work if only on 30 amp plug. need the other leg for power to it and bedroom a/c.

You have something else wrong.

Are you using a RV 50amp to RV30 amp adapter?
https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Do...F8&qid=1531670720&sr=8-4&keywords=rv+50+to+30

This adapter combines the L1 and L2 in the adapter so that all circuits in your RV will be supplied power, but only at a max of 30 amps, compared to a max of 100 amps if on 50 amp service.

BlackT

GFCI works by comparing the current passing through the line (feed) conductor to the current passing through the neutral (return) conductor and opening the circuit if they do not match exactly. When the cheater adapter is plugged in, it connects the neutral conductors of the 30 and 15 amp receptacles together. The return current will then try to pass through both neutrals and the amount of current carried by each will be determined by the resistance of the neutral conductors. It is extremely unlikely that the current passing through the GFCI neutral would match the GFCI line current in that situation, so the GFCI does it's job and opens the circuit. I am not an electrician, so don't take that as gospel. It's how I think it works anyway. Maybe one of the electricians among us will chime in.

Kathi-27

They do not work with GFCI circuits.
The do not work if the receptacles are on the same power feeds. L1 or L2 in the panel, but not both L1 & L2

You have something else wrong.

Are you using a RV 50amp to RV30 amp adapter?
https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Do...F8&qid=1531670720&sr=8-4&keywords=rv+50+to+30

This adapter combines the L1 and L2 in the adapter so that all circuits in your RV will be supplied power, but only at a max of 30 amps, compared to a max of 100 amps if on 50 amp service.
I was wrong was using the cheater so only 1 leg was working that's y frig and bedroom a/c didn't work. thanks for the link to the other adapter will get it ordered

- - - Updated - - -

GFCI works by comparing the current passing through the line (feed) conductor to the current passing through the neutral (return) conductor and opening the circuit if they do not match exactly. When the cheater adapter is plugged in, it connects the neutral conductors of the 30 and 15 amp receptacles together. The return current will then try to pass through both neutrals and the amount of current carried by each will be determined by the resistance of the neutral conductors. It is extremely unlikely that the current passing through the GFCI neutral would match the GFCI line current in that situation, so the GFCI does it's job and opens the circuit. I am not an electrician, so don't take that as gospel. It's how I think it works anyway. Maybe one of the electricians among us will chime in.
thanks for info. going to talk to a friend that is electrical engineer when he gets back in town.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders

Got this advertisement the other day. Anyone have experience with these? It says we can use both a 30 and 15 amp circuit at the same time. That would allow (in the absence of a 50 am circuit) to run with in theory 45 amp using both A/Cs etc. At $37 that's a reasonable cost, but I would hate to hurt the electrical systems of my rig. It would nice if one of the Heartland technical wizards say ok or not.

http://www.adventurerv.net/cynder-a...medium=email&utm_campaign=Specials_01_13_2018

Thanks,
David Reece
2013 Bighorn 3010RE
2014 Ford F250 - Super-glide 1600 hitch

If you really want one I'll give you an unused one. Just let me know and you can pick it up in OKC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B

The reason it will not work with GFCI is the neutral to ground balance is off being returned to the 30 amp neutral connection.

In my case using dual 30 amp which are separate legs with no GFCI it works fine.