Cyclone 3800

rocrider50

Just sold my FR XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS and I am jumping into the Cyclone 3800 world. Almost bought the new CY 3611 until I found its payload was only 1500lbs and the 3800 is 4560lbs. So hello from Michigan. There are lots of new things on the 2017 CY 3800 and most are new to me. When I pick it up next Friday I expect that I will have a few more.
First they installed this fake foam brick in the Kitchen, when I remove it will I find a glue mess or will it come off easy?
Second what does the heated enclose under belly really mean. Can I Hunt Camp at 20deg, 0deg, etc without freezing pipes or should I have gotten the arctic package?
Third it says it has a painted exterior, do I still need to cover it for the winter to prevent fading? And there doesn't see to be a 43ft cover available, can I just use a class A cover?
More ? to come.
I'll read some of the old blogs tonight.

danemayer

Hi rocrider50,

Congratulations on the new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Let me help with the cold weather question.

There are two aspects to cold weather camping: staying comfy inside, and keeping the water running.

The underbelly gets a little heat from a 2" duct that's stubbed into the underbelly area. It will give your water systems a little protection when outside temps drop below freezing. So you may be ok down to 20 (F), but just barely. Of course, the further back you go, the less heat you get, so tanks, water lines, and valves further back are likely to freeze first.

From a comfort standpoint, the furnace heat going to the back of the coach and especially to the garage, cools off quite a bit due to the length of the duct work. Supplemental heat may be needed in the garage, if using it as a living space.

The Arctic/Yeti package provides a little extra insulation in the form of radiant foil. It also includes tank heaters on all the holding tanks and heat tape/insulation on the portion of the fresh water feed line in the underbelly. This extends the temperature range for the tanks and use of the pump with the fresh water tank and could get you closer to 0 (F) with water running.

In extreme weather, you'd have to do more. Our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide has a number of tips on how to keep the water running well below 0 (F).

CabinetmakerII

. Can I Hunt Camp at 20deg, 0deg, etc without freezing pipes or should I have gotten the arctic package?

I conducted a non-scientific test on our 2012-3800. With the Outside temperature at 32 degrees F, the heat at the kitchen floor register was a toasty 125 degrees. The "heat" at the little 2" wall register in the garage was 40 degrees... Not a typo... According to the factory, 40 degree "heat" is within specs. Suffice to say you will need supplemental heat in the garage. You will need to run the furnace at not less than 50 degrees while out hunting otherwise the underbelly is not being heated and things will freeze. Take the time to insulate the fresh water and low point drain valves if they are exposed.

Good luck on your hunt, and with your new Cyclone

rocrider50

Still working through little issues. Rear license plate fell off, it seems that the mounting screws were over tightened and broke. Hanging on by a thread they finally gave up the plate. Little screws loose everywhere and little things broken. Ah, the life of a RV owner.