Diesel tuner for Ram 3500

OtterMN

I did not know such a thing existed until I saw it listed in somebody's sig here... I'm very interested in fuel savings, since we go every weekend for seven months out of the year. Do they really pay off? Any votes for the best one? Thanks!

brianharrison

No best one - there are tuners that are better for one brand or the other - simply a choice of that tuner to focus on a particular programming/engine set up. For example Spartan tuners focus on Fords.

I personally have chosen H&S due to their customer focused product.

Regarding saving fuel, if you have the newer DPF system and CHOOSE TO INSTALL AN OFF ROAD PRODUCT and delete the DPF then you save the fuel required on regenerations. Other than that I don't believe the tune in itself saves much fuel.

I have installed the DPF delete and tuner as I did not want 1200 to 1330 F exhaust gases passing through my turbo/EGF coolers while the regen was occuring. The tuner can eliminate this step.

My thoughts,
Brian

OtterMN

Brian, thanks for the info... how much fuel can be saved by deleting the DPF? Is this not a necessary step? Is there any down-side? Sorry for the ignorant questions...

brianharrison

Nope - no ignorant questions....

Many factors come into play - how often the rig goes into regeneration is probably the biggest factor - personally I saw an increase of 1-2 MPG while pulling depending on the situation (road, speed, etc).

Any of the tuner sites will talk to their claims. Note they now cannot sell the DPF delete model to US on hiway applications. I am up in Canada (one benefit of living up here with the cold.....)

1_oldgoat

Ottermn,
My 07 Ram 3500 was a beast after i installed an Edge Juice with attitude tuner, i did install an intake system and a dpf back exhaust, i picked up 3-4mpg from stock so after 6 years it paid for itself several times over. I left emissions equipment on the truck, one because if you live in an area where you need to pass smog, you can be ticketed for removal of that stuff. As far as the regens go, my truck was normaly on the freeway towing so very rarely did it go through a regen cycle, if i did alot of in town driving, stop and go, it seemed it was always in regen. I just traded my 07 off on a new 2013 Ram 3500 dually, and plan on installing another Edge Juice unit, one reason i like them is they do not actualy reprogram.the ecu on your truck, the unit itself modifies the signals from various sensors and changes them.before they go to the stock ecu, you can keep stock timing or change it as well. I really liked being able to monitor different temps on engine, transmission exhaust gas temps and boost, my old unit only had four screen monitor, the new units have color screens and i believe 8 screens to set up and watch whatever you want. Also worked for reading trouble codes but most will do that.
There are still some tuners available that you can buy with dpf and egr deletes, the egr delete isn't a bad idea, it will save money without having to have the egr valve and body cleaned serviced every 67k miles at the tune of 300 bucks. I do know a friend of my step son who has his 2012 Ram 2500 set up with a Smarty Junior, egr dpf deleted, intake exhaust system installed and says he is getting 22mpg highway miles per gallon, buy my new 2013 got that on the drive home from the dealership acording to the trip computor. Not sure how accurate that is or if it read my drive from a fuel stop to the house on a country backroad at 35mph as i hadn't figured out the electronic stuff before then.
If you want a monitor to watch different parameters, Edge and Bullydog both would work as they have seperate monitors that sit on your dash.
Personaly i have no experience with the Bullydog unit but from talking with people who do, they love them.
I myself will be installing another Edge Juice with color screen, i don't see a need for color touch screen, they have both. Any intake system will be better than the factory and can be found for reasonable prices, S&B seems to be very popular, dpf back exhaust systems are available from several vendors to, prices on them.can vary quite alot so do your homework. Don't believe all of the numbers you will see on how much horsepower you will gain, if it was true, 15hp from an intake 20 from exhause and a hundred from a tuner would make a monster tow rig, my '07 was plenty strong enough in tow mode with the edge, compared to this 2013 stock it feels like a slug and it is supposed to have more power than the '07 did, so i know it made a huge difference, i only used tow and fuel mileage on it for the most part but it had 5 settings and if you are brave enough to try the race mode and pay an extra hundred bucks for a hot unlock code it had a race mode as well that increased power and torque a huge amount. Just never had a need for it.
Hope that didn't confuse you to much, i love my cummins 6.7, my last truck passed more Ford and Chevys puulling any pass we went over!! It would go as fast as i dared go towing and stopped or slowed down just as good with the factory exhaust brake!! Hard to beat for a tow vehicle. Good luck and let us all know what you decide to do, the deletes can get you into trouble, void warrentys as well.
I'll be keeping emissions equipment on the new truck myself, supposedly the DEF helps with less regens anyway, and so far i haven't seen any tuners to skip past that.
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Just did some research on tuners for new Dodge, 2013's and newer need to have the ecu sent in for a boot loader over ride program installed, Bullydog will do them for $1300.00, then you still need to buy a tuner so alot of money, it is cheaper for an Edge since they do not reprogram the ecu, that is one of the reasons i had used the edge juice with attitude on my 07, i bought and still have a superchip tuner but it wouldn't work on my truck because the bootloader program was out of date, i still have the superchip tuner if anyone is interested in one, i will sell it for cheap!! The edge juice with color screen monitor is around 9 bills but will pay for itself in no time with fuel mileage increase if it picks up 3 mpg like it did on my other rig. No sending ecu in for reprogram and removal of the edge will not show when or if you need to take the new truck in for warrenty work as ever being installed lime other programers will. No warrenty problems sounds good to me!! Edge tuner 9 bills, intake system 3 bills, dpf back exhaust 5 bills, power on the truck after everything is installed, priceless!!
Marcus
Not promoting any products here, just a little info on the newer Dodge Ram trucks with the 6.7 cummins ecu

jayc

Legendary Member
I heard about a programmer for my Ram from a company called TS Performance.

Here is a copy of the letter sent to me by Randy Hoggard, Operations Manager for the company.

Jay,
We offer a couple different options for your 2010 Dodge. We have the MP8 that will gain 100HP at the tires and 2-3MPG. This plugs into the fuel pressure sensor and does not require the removal of the EGR system or the DPF filters.
We also offer the Stryker that controls injector duration on the 2010-2012 Dodge. This plugs into the injector harness and also works with the EGR and DPF system still on the truck. We do this so that you can still pass emissions and cause no issues with warranty. IF the module is removed before going to the dealer, you can never detect it has ever been installed. Part number is 1290306.

​Like Marcus, I have no relation to the company and am merely passing on information.

1_oldgoat

Jayc, thanks for the information, i just checked thier website and can't find any products for 2013's and newer Rams, i left a msg on the contact page to see what or if they have anything available, i like the idea of plug and play, no reprogram on the ecu like the edge juice tuner so non detectable if removed to take a rig in for warrenty. Nice to not have to remove dpf, egr systems as well and with the def now not sure the dpf can be removed anyway. Thanks again
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Jayc
I got a reply from Randy and they do have the Stryker for 2013 and newer rams with the 6.7 cccummins that controls injector duration, said the same thing, 2-3mpg increase and up to 135hp at rear wheels, unfortunatly it will not work with the Edge Juice to stack em because they both plug into the injector harness.
Thanks for the info
Mar us