Digital Monitor by TRC Saved the Day

rxbristol

My digital monitor, by TRC, paid for itself today. It gave an audible warning of low voltage (<102). As I monitored the voltage display it was reading between 121 and 101. We've used the same RV spot for the last year and have never had a problem before. As I thought about what to do to troubleshoot the problem, I was outside and near the RV park's CB box, for sixteen spots, and heard arcing. I called the manager and the park's main maintenance man was out to investigate within 2 minutes. It turned out to be the CB for my spot. It was changed out and the voltage is back to normal.

jbeletti

Rex,

Is this "digital monitor" part of the TRC automatic transfer switch that came with your coach, or something you installed? If so, can you link to it? Thanks for sharing your story.

rxbristol

Rex,

Is this "digital monitor" part of the TRC automatic transfer switch that came with your coach, or something you installed? If so, can you link to it? Thanks for sharing your story.

Jim, unfortunately my transfer switch did not come with a voltage/amp monitor. On my research, I don't think my transfer switch comes with a monitor even though I have seen other Landmarks with them. So, I use the TRC line monitor. Even though it does not show amps, the voltage display has helped on three different occasions with low voltage. Besides the CB problem, the others were at different parks during the summer months when everyone had their AC's running and the low voltage warning clued me in to run my generator during the high peak times. Here is a link to the monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/Technology-Re...19176452&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+line+monitor

rxbristol

BTW, before I noticed the low voltage, my water heater was not heating up very well on electric. After the bad CB was replaced the water heater works great again. I'm just glad it wasn't summer because the low voltage may have damaged the air conditioners.

jbeletti

Rex,

Thanks for sharing your experience with a bad breaker, what some of the symptoms were and how you used a remote sensor to know about the low voltage.

Last edited:

rxbristol

Rex,

Thanks for sharing your experience with a bad breaker, what some of the symptoms were and how you used a remote sensor to know about the low voltage.

My first indication of low voltage was a surging of the fireplace and a fan. Also, for a reason I don't know, the entertainment circuit would lose power and immediately come back on. I normally don't have the TRC plugged in all the time in the winter, but I use it in the summer to visually monitor for voltage drops. I never suspected the water heater problem being a symptom of low voltage...now I know. The TRC can be plugged into any outlet and it will show you voltage and hertz for the whole rig. If the voltage or hertz goes too low (<102 volts/55 Hz) or too high (>135 volts/65 Hz) it sounds a high pitch audible warning tone. The tone stops once everything is back into tolerance. I like that I don't automatically lose power, like some surge protectors do because it allows troubleshooting and some electrical devices to still be used. I also like that it gives a constant visual display. I wish I had the same for amps...I miss that, especially on a 30 amp circuit.

Last edited by a moderator: