Dometic Cycling a lot.

RiverManJ

The dometic A/C in my 2024 Torque seems to cycle on and off a lot when it’s near the temperature it’s set too. If it’s hot out and you set the A/C on 70 it runs great. Once the unit is down to 70 or near it starts to cycle between hi and low fan and the compressor turns on and off sometimes as quick as every 30 seconds. Is this a setting issue? Any suggestions are appreciated.

wdk450

On first hearing sounds like a thermostat problem, or thermostat environment causing it to be exposed to excessive heating and cooling forces. I would try to call Dometic service on this first thing.

2019_V22

Do you hear the roof A/C compressor short cycling after temp is met, at which point the camper slowly starts to loose it's cool, and warms up?

RiverManJ

I can’t for sure say if the compressor is short cycling or just the fan. But the temperature stays down where it’s supposed to. It does not warm up. If I drop the temperature it goes back to high until it cools down. Then goes back to cycling back and forth. I understand as others stated that if I put it in high or low it stays there, but I’d like a way where it just works right. Cools down to temp then shuts off. Then comes on as needed. Is that possible? Thanks.

Dahillbilly

I can’t for sure say if the compressor is short cycling or just the fan. But the temperature stays down where it’s supposed to. It does not warm up. If I drop the temperature it goes back to high until it cools down. Then goes back to cycling back and forth. I understand as others stated that if I put it in high or low it stays there, but I’d like a way where it just works right. Cools down to temp then shuts off. Then comes on as needed. Is that possible? Thanks.
sounds like it is cycling like it should. Say that you have it set at 72, at that point the compressor shuts off, before the fans cycles off, the thermostat has risen above 72 from the air movement; so the compressor comes back on again, This cycle continues until the overall temperature cools off enough so the system doesn't have to short cycle. Seen the same happen with furnace during the winter months when it's super cold outside.

RiverManJ

The fan is turning off, back on at low, then off and back on high. About every 30 seconds. Does that seem normal? Second A/C is on the way. Perhaps this will fix the issue?

2019_V22

You'll need to understand of the compressor is cycling on and off as well with the fan.
In 2019-2020 I went through **** with Dometic after I upgraded my existing roof unit from the manual controls to the CT thermostat. Mine would run fine till it reached temp, then would short cycle like crazy and eventually not maintain temp in the camper. I was in contact with Dometic tech support, a field manager. Dometic admitted issues with the system such as mis-labeled thermostats, a faulty batch of logic chips, but after 4 replacement thermostats, and 2 or more control board kits not correcting the issue, they opted to replace my rooftop unit. to which I refused as I knew there was nothing wrong with the roof unit, but rather the communication system between the thermostat, and the control board. The Emails, and tech support calls went on for 8 months till I realized they had no idea how to correct my issue. After searching I found the brand Micro Air, spoke to their engineer who recognized and was familiar with my issues. Changing nothing about the Dometic configuration, I simply replaced the thermostat with the Micro Air smart thermostat one, and my issues went away. https://www.micro-air.com/products_easytouch_rv_thermostat_touchscreen.cfm

RiverManJ

Ya I was kinda leaning towards it being a thermostat issue. Will that micro air control the heat and A/C at the same time? As in I set the temp at 70, the A/C comes on during the day and the heat at night? With no more input from me.

jmarnell

Yes, the Micro Air thermostat works in totally Auto mode, or you can select just Cool or Heat. We've been using these thermostats on all 3 or our Dometic AC units and love them. I really like being able to access the thermostat settings via wifi when we are away from the RV.

spectra

I also have Dometic ACs and have replaced all 3 of my thermostats with the MicroAir units. Not only are they more intuitive and display the actual current temperature (in addition to your set temp) but they are WiFi which lets you monitor and control the individual thermostats remotely via the internet!! Easy setup as well

spectra

I also have Dometic ACs and have replaced all 3 of my thermostats with the MicroAir units. Not only are they more intuitive and display the actual current temperature (in addition to your set temp) but they are WiFi which lets you monitor and control the individual thermostats remotely via the internet!! Easy setup as well
Great video on the MicroAir thermostat

MDH2021

Hello RiverManJ,

We had the same issue. Everything was working but when the AC reached the set temperature it would cycle like yours. Ours was a simple fix. Our ceiling vents for the ducted AC are round with fixed angle louvers. The whole round vent rotates to direct the air flow. One was directed toward the thermostat. We were able to rotate the two closest vents to not blow toward the thermostat. Fixed the problem. Yours may have the same issue.