Dometic Power Awning Recall

:(2012 heartland Big country with power awning, (bought in April of 2012) the motor in our awning has gone out three times. about every six months. We are waiting on the third motor as I type this. Limited recalls don't always catch every unit. We travel enough that finding a warranty repair service can be difficult and taking the unit back to where we bought it isn't practical either due to distance and fuel costs. This time we will also be replacing the switch in the unit. It is hard to say good things about a RV, a dealer or company when every time you turn a round you have these issues.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having experienced the thrill of dealing with Dometic's customer service call center, I'll toss this contact out there. It took some intervention a couple of years ago when my motor quit under warranty. Hopefully, this person is still there and may have a better answer on covering your awning problems. It would be my opinion that any power awning that meets the serial number criteria should be covered, regardless of where it's mounted. Good luck.

mark.wolschlager@dometicusa.com

mobilcastle

:(2012 heartland Big country with power awning, (bought in April of 2012) the motor in our awning has gone out three times. about every six months. We are waiting on the third motor as I type this. Limited recalls don't always catch every unit. We travel enough that finding a warranty repair service can be difficult and taking the unit back to where we bought it isn't practical either due to distance and fuel costs. This time we will also be replacing the switch in the unit. It is hard to say good things about a RV, a dealer or company when every time you turn a round you have these issues.
I hope they get right for you this time. I am sure they are frustrated with whoever is making those motors-China?

Theresau

Thank you for keeping this thread going. Seeing it again prompted me to contact Dometic with our #'s (for the heck of it). Turns out our awning is part of the recall. Our dealer told us that it was not when we purchased it mid-May. Dometic is going to send a mobile unit to our home to make the repair.

Update: We've already been contacted by a mobile RV service - they will be here this Friday to do the repair so that it is repaired before we leave for Goshen.

Last edited:

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
I got a letter from Heartland telling me to contact Dometic. Called them while I was on the Eastern Shore of Virginia at the Virginia HOC Rally. They got someone from an appliance repair company ("never done this before") to come out and replace the motor. Big problem is that the main awning, according to Dometic is on the recall, thus the replacement, and my awning on the slide-out is not subject to the recall. MAJOR problem is the main awning was working perfectly before they replaced the motor, the one on the slide-out quit working on Saturday morning when I was getting ready for our "show off your camper" walk through for the rally. Both awnings were made within 4 days of each other and are within the recall serial number, but Dometic says the smaller awning is not covered. Now, I have it wire-tied and hope I can get someone to look at it while I'm in Goshen.:(:( I'm NOT a happy camper

Our dealership replaced both awning motors & domestic sent both motors without any question I would touch base with a dealer to handle for you. It is frustrating hope it is resolved quickly for you.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
X2.....our dealer handled both Main Awning & 2nd Slide Awnings. I just happened to have the BC at Carolina Coach for another warranty issue that was also corrected. All good now!

Stevo

I have replaced the awning motor on the main slide and (3) motors on my slide awning. I do believe they are just junk

Theresau

Mobile RV serviceman just left. New motor is much quicker. He said the recall issue was in regard to the brake within the motor...

Thank you for keeping this thread going. Seeing it again prompted me to contact Dometic with our #'s (for the heck of it). Turns out our awning is part of the recall. Our dealer told us that it was not when we purchased it mid-May. Dometic is going to send a mobile unit to our home to make the repair.

Update: We've already been contacted by a mobile RV service - they will be here this Friday to do the repair so that it is repaired before we leave for Goshen.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Our dealership replaced both awning motors & domestic sent both motors without any question I would touch base with a dealer to handle for you. It is frustrating hope it is resolved quickly for you.

Thanks Rottiesmom. I talked with Dometic Customer Service twice. They assured me the secondary awning was NOT part of their recall, even though they were manufactured within 2 or 3 days of each other and both fall in the parameters outlined in their recall notice. Fortunately for me, the rig is still under warranty. Before we checked into the Rally Campground here in Goshen, we stopped by Great Lakes RV in Elkhart and they ran all the tests, etc to prove the motor is bad. For me, it doesn't matter if it is part of the recall or not, the motor will be replaced. Seems like I had to go around in circles, but at least it will be replaced before we leave Goshen. No more wire-ties. Yipeee

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
Thanks Rottiesmom. I talked with Dometic Customer Service twice. They assured me the secondary awning was NOT part of their recall, even though they were manufactured within 2 or 3 days of each other and both fall in the parameters outlined in their recall notice. Fortunately for me, the rig is still under warranty. Before we checked into the Rally Campground here in Goshen, we stopped by Great Lakes RV in Elkhart and they ran all the tests, etc to prove the motor is bad. For me, it doesn't matter if it is part of the recall or not, the motor will be replaced. Seems like I had to go around in circles, but at least it will be replaced before we leave Goshen. No more wire-ties. Yipeee

glad to hear it will be taken care of now you can enjoy yourself without a worry.

galnelson

awning & basement door problems

I have a 2014 Big Horn 3010. We are on a 2 month trip & have encountered some problems. I was rolling in the awning & the 2 cylinders oñ the ends froze up causing the awning to stop & Bend the end of the shaft where the awning is attAched to the arm. I had to get 2 men to pull down on the end arms down which allowed me to retract it. In a similar problem with one cylinder on one end of the basement door When I closed it it froze up and it literally ripped the screws holding the bracket out of the door.

Theresau

Re: awning & basement door problems

Were the black wing nuts on the arms tightened?

In regard to the recall: Our awning was one of those recalled. Per the serviceman, the problem was in the "break" within the motor - awning could unfurl unexpectedly even when traveling. Before the motor was changed, it opened and closed incredibly slow - now operates same as our BH. did

Our BC was built on 4/22 so it was a pretty high risk that our awning was one in the recall.

I have a 2014 Big Horn 3010. We are on a 2 month trip & have encountered some problems. I was rolling in the awning & the 2 cylinders oñ the ends froze up causing the awning to stop & Bend the end of the shaft where the awning is attAched to the arm. I had to get 2 men to pull down on the end arms down which allowed me to retract it. In a similar problem with one cylinder on one end of the basement door When I closed it it froze up and it literally ripped the screws holding the bracket out of the door.

Greengas

I talked with Heartland about this recall 2 weeks ago. I was very concerned since my new coach is scheduled to be built during the week of 25 July. I was told that "we got a batch of awnings with bad motors". I was also told that coaches being built now don't have that awning problem. I hope he is right.

Theresau

You can ask dealer to contact Dometic. They are very serious about this recall. There is a hotline, etc. Unless they install an old awning you should be ok - I believe last production date was 4/15/2013.

I talked with Heartland about this recall 2 weeks ago. I was very concerned since my new coach is scheduled to be built during the week of 25 July. I was told that "we got a batch of awnings with bad motors". I was also told that coaches being built now don't have that awning problem. I hope he is right.

galnelson

awning & basement door

Yes I had forgoten to loosen the nuts stopped retract about a third of the way, then I loosened them & continued to retract all the way it seemed with ease. Then I immediately extended the awning. It stopped about half way-(frozen). It would not go either in or out. That is When 2 guys pulled down (hard)as I retracted it. The other issue is with the basement door "master lift" arm that froze up as I tried to close it resulting in tearing the hinge screws out of the door. I had to break the ARM off of the ball attached to the frame in order to close the door.