Dometic RM 1350 Extreme Cold

tx_boy77

Help needed! I am a proud owner of a 2012 Road Warrior 400 that had been operating really well until now. My wife and I are full timers for the time being and we are set up in North Dakota. A few nights ago the weather went from barbecue and hanging out with the neighbors to -25 below and held up inside struggling to keep our fridge running. This unit has just about everything that was offered for cold climate since we are originally from Alaska and that's were my wife and I broke in our unit. We have had extremely good results from our 1350 RM even spending last summer in South Texas and no issues. I've done just about everything that I could think of and what I could reference in this forum. Is there just no way to get this type of reefer to function in the cold? Any feedback is welcome Michael.

jimtoo

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

We also have a really good search engine for the forum. It is really fast and easy to use. So you might give it a try while waiting on another member to respond.

I am moving thread to proper area also.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi tx_boy77,

Last winter I put a small 25W clip-on light inside the back of the frig. It generates enough heat to keep the ammonia solution from gelling in the extreme cold -30 (F) but not enough to screw up the cooling when temps get up to +30 (F).

I think this is the light I used.

Hopefully there hasn't been any permanent damage to the cooling unit.

Birchwood

Never knew a fridge wouldn't work in the cold.Ours worked fine at -9 c .The fridge generates so much heat during operation
I don't even worry about the water supply lines freezing.

danemayer

So would a 100W bulb and having the lower access vent sealed be to much?

I think that would trigger an over temp lockout and a trip to the dealer.

On our first ski trip, I followed the campground recommendation to block some vents (no lights). The frig locked out in less than 30 minutes. The dealer tech had to get the secret code from Dometic to unlock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD