Dumb question

Fubs

Ok, we are looking at the Gateway 3650, and have done a bunch of research, but never looked at this specifically... Do the new RVs have the old winegard crank up TV antennas? My current unit is a 2000 TT, so I dont know if technology has upgraded beyond going full digital over the air. I can't find anything on the Heartland website about TV antennas, TVs or electronics in general.

Anything we should beware of or look for when checking this unit out?

Thanks !

danemayer

Hi Fubs,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Maybe a Gateway owner can comment on what's currently shipping on Gateways.

Our 2011 Landmark came with the batwing design that cranks up. It receives digital as well as analog stations. We replaced ours, as have many owners, with the Jack antenna for better reception of marginal digital signals.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just replaced my Winegard wanna be (Signal Commander) batwing just last Friday with a JackTV replacement head . . .

Took less than five minutes.

Cost $39 from Camping World (the store matched their internet sale price) . . .

Without even re-aiming the antenna, I rescanned for channels and got 20 more than it had with the old batwing!

I can't wait to see how it works in the mountains!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The units I saw at the national rally a couple of weeks ago all still had the crank up antenna. As soon as I get $179 with nothing else to do with it, I'm getting one of the full replacement Jack antennas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jimpav

I believe it's just a case of simple economics. The most important item in any RV I believe is a good PMS (power management system). This should be standard in every Rv no matter what they cost. The reason OEMs do not supply a PMS is added cost reflected in the MSRP. There's plenty of info on this forum to explain why they are needed. I'm sure Heartland or any other OEM could bulk purchase PMS units and offer them at least as an option.

Hey John have to determined that the Jack antenna is a definite improvement over the bat wing? The best way would be to connect and disconnect one then put the other one on the rv. That way you are using the same wiring, location, height, etc to get a reasonably close comparison of the signal gathering of each. I have been thinking about a Jack but not until there is a good comparison on the two. Kind of a apples to apples comparison. All I have found so far is marketing data that is worthless. Thanks for your response.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Using the signal strength meter built-in to my tv (goes from 0 to 10 bars) most all stations increased a couple of bars, and I also now get some distant stations I couldn't receive at all. It's not marketing hype. It has more gain in the UHF band, where most TV stations are now located.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There are several topic threads here about the Jack . . .

So far everyone here loves theirs!

GOTTOYS

I gained a bunch of stations with my Jack antenna. Many of us had them installed a year ago at the WI Chapter Rally. The general opinion was that they worked well. Most of us installed the head that installed on the original crank down mast. Very simple install. Bonus is that I don't have to listen to the Batwing rattle all night when the wind was blowing...Don

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I believe that the new Rigs are comming with the digital version of the Batwing Antenna I upgraded my head to the wingard digital head two years ago at the National Rally and although it did improve my reception some it was not mind blowing. I still may get the Jack Head as a replacement for the wingard head down the road, but most RV Campgrounds have Cable and when I Boondock, I usually have better things to do than watch TV... :)