Fifth Wheel Trailer Hits Low Bridge

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
A 74 year old Florida man was ticketed after his 45 foot Travel Supreme hit a 10'9" CSX railroad bridge that passes over the Onondaga Lake Parkway in New York. The man continued on and was later found in the parking lot of a business in the town of Clay.

Piperflyer

I know the RR bridge he hit. He should be ticketed... That bridge has every kind of warning before it to man. Don't understand how anybody still runs into it.

MCTalley

The thread title indicated that a "fifth wheel" hit the bridge. I can kinda see someone maybe driving on oblivious to the fact that items were scraped off the top of a towed vehicle. However, a "2009 Travel Supreme" is a diesel pusher. Driving on after hitting a bridge with the vehicle you are driving makes you wonder. Additionally, the two locations indicated in the news story (the bridge and Clay, New York) are 9 miles apart.

TheWade2

We have friends who went under a low bridge without realizing it was not going to work. They came out the other side with their rig looking like it got a shave. There was nothing left on the roof! No vents, a/c, nothing! Expensive needless to say!

gasman

Camp Socializer
The thread title indicated that a "fifth wheel" hit the bridge. I can kinda see someone maybe driving on oblivious to the fact that items were scraped off the top of a towed vehicle. However, a "2009 Travel Supreme" is a diesel pusher. Driving on after hitting a bridge with the vehicle you are driving makes you wonder. Additionally, the two locations indicated in the news story (the bridge and Clay, New York) are 9 miles apart.

Travel Supreme made luxury fifth wheels in their Wakarusa, Indiana plant from 1989 to 2008, with the model year 2009 coaches being the last ones prior to closing the plant.

MCTalley

Travel Supreme made luxury fifth wheels in their Wakarusa, Indiana plant from 1989 to 2008, with the model year 2009 coaches being the last ones prior to closing the plant.

I stand corrected. I just Googled "2009 Travel Supreme" and got a lot of Class A's showing up first. So it could have been a fifth wheel, though the article mentions horns as part of what got scraped off the top:

The force of the crash sheared off the RV's air-conditioning units, awnings, antennas and horns that were mounted on the roof.

LBR

I stand corrected. I just Googled "2009 Travel Supreme" and got a lot of Class A's showing up first. So it could have been a fifth wheel, though the article mentions horns as part of what got scraped off the top:
I followed your thoughts the whole time also as when the article mentions the RV was "driven" and horns were knocked off, I can't imagine anyone assuming it was a fiver.

Last edited:

gasman

Camp Socializer
I don't understand how you could do that much damage to a fifth wheel and not feel the impact.