found a 3500 this weekend

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
Wife and I have been toying with the idea of trading our 3055RL and have been looking around at other models. I found a dealer that has 2 Landmarks for me to look at and we went to see them on sunday. While I was there I spotted an 05 chev 3500 crew cab dually that looked absolutely mint. The truck is equipped the same as my 2500 HD with about the same mileage. I took it for a drive and liked it a lot. Would make my decision on a trailer much easier as I would not have to worry so much about weight issues. Dealer looked at mine and wanted $15000.00 difference. I near choked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Truck has done nothing but pull a huge Escalade so it has seen some hard miles. Oil was down a quart or so and black as all get out. Top rad hose was collapsed (sign of overheating on an LLY), seemed to shift ok but different than mine (maybe a different rear ratio, they did not know what it was), would have to change out the turbo mouthpiece ( did all that on mine already) , front end was pulling big time to the right and the brakes were a tad spongy. All would be repaired by dealership I was assured. Wife said she liked it (for what it was) but that I knew what I had in my truck and did not know what I would be getting in the bigboy. I walked away from it ( price difference alone was reason enough). Nice truck though.

Rick

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rick, I had an 05 2500...it was good truck. I have an 07 2500 4W/D CC LB now....look for a 2006 or 2007. You will love the 6 SP Allison and a little more power. We pulled the Horn from Calif to Mont. and averaged 11.7 MPG. Our Horn weighs about what your 3055 does.

ihsolutions

I have a 2003 2500HD D/A... never seen snow, salt, etc, always garaged and stored in winters. My friends make fun of me for it, especially since it has 4WD. Only about 40k on it right now, and looks like it belongs in a showroom. I was worried when I ordered my BH, that the 'ol garage queen was not going to suffice, and started looking at duallies. Holy sticker shock! Anyway I added airbags and it tows beautifully. Would a dually be better? Probably. But I'm within a couple hundred pounds on the GVWR, and well under all other ratings (tires, axles, etc). I love my 03, no issues like the LLY's and no diesel aftertreatment junk that the newer ones have. For once, I don't have any new car itch!

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
Don't get me wrong here I love my 2500. It is immaculate and only has 57000 KMS on it. It pulls my 3055Rl like it's hardly even there. The new models we are contemplating are quite a bit heavier in the pin weight department and it would just be nice to not have to worry about it.

Rick

unless your set on a dually,it would be cheaper to bulk your's up a little.some airbags and and maybe aftermarket leaf package and some heavy duty shocks.....just a thought :)

RollingHome

Rick, sounds like ya drove a nice truck... but... bump it up 2.5 years to 2007-1/2 (midyear) at least and ya get the new body style NBS, and newer engine and newer 6 speed Alison (Wow). Look at the 3500 HD's. Once ya do this, I'm not sure anyone makes a 5ver ya can't tow. This truck is a real animal... That's why my wife affectionately calls it "the beast". JMO