Front cap question?

Jgermany

I have a 2017 Landmark Newport 365 and I have water that drips from where the front cap of the rv meets the pin box. I have checked everything that I can get to but can't find a leak. It started when the weather turned cold and we are running a space heater in the front of the rv along with a small heater in the living room combined with the factory electric fireplace. We do keep the furnace on but it doesn't run that often. It's 20 degrees here and my wife is so cold natured that she absolutely refuses to run the fantastic fan in the front bathroom. The camper stays around 75 degrees. My question is- could this be condensation from moisture from the heated area in the front of the rv? The only thing in the nose is closet space and I have pulled everything out and have found no sign of dampness. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You have plumbing in the front of your rig, i.e., the washer connections. Start checking those, especially if you don't have a washer and those lines have water in them. Looks like your floorplan may have the plumbing for the bathroom nearby, too. A leak could work it's way along the path of least resistance.

Jgermany

I had a small leak under the vanity in the bathroom but have tightened all the connections and its no longer leaking. I pulled inspection hatch in the shower and its dry around the shower valve and pex fittings. I do have a washing machine and dryer installed and I checked the washer drain line and hot and cold supply lines and everything is dry. I also checked the shower drain from underneath in the compartment with the batteries and hydraulics for the landing gear and its also dry. I can reach up in the pin box and feel the subfloor and its dry but there is a space thats open and I can feel the nose cap and its damp there. It's wierd. I know water will follow the path of least resistance and I may have a leak but if I do its buried where I won't have access unless I start gutting it. I'm just curious if its a condensation issue because the pin box area isnt fastened tightly to the bottom of the subfloor frame and I doubt there is much insulation in the front cap if any between the cap and the back of the closet. I dont have much faith in the plumbing though. I have replaced almost all of the pex and fittings behind the service panel in the cellar. I love the camper but I absolutely hate the fact that material and craftsmanship is so horrible. I'm extremely handy with doing my own repairs because we are full timers but this is getting ridiculous.

danemayer

There are caulked seams all around the cap along with marker lights and scare light. Check the caulking very carefully.

rxbristol

I've had this problem also, it's from condensation in the front cap. It runs down the cap to the low points and out through the king-pin area.

wdk450

I would double check those front cap caulk seals, and maybe think about replacing the caulking with Eternabond or Dicor roof sealing tape. Get the job done right once and it is good for 10+ years.

If you suspect condensation, maybe you could get one of those humidity absorber (Dri-Z-Air) devices and stick it into the front cap void through the pinbox, or make an access door in the closet wall.

farside291

When I had my front cap replaced late last year the repair facility said that it appeared the front cap had been leaking water for a long time. Everything was rusty and the little bit of insulation inside had shown that it had been wet in the past. Fortunately there is a vapor barrier in there to protect the back side of the cabinets. Check the calking thoroughly. Mine was only about 3 years old at the time of cap replacement. I had never noticed water dripping in the cap area. Mine must have been holding the water.