Furnace and AC fuses keep blowing

PeteG

Hi ,

Having electrical issues on a new to me 2014 Heartland Northtrail caliber edition TT. It's the 27' if that matters.

Last time we used it about 3 weeks ago both heat and AC worked fine. I went in it today and noticed that both the Furnace and AC breakers had blown (red lights were lit next to each fuse) I shut down the main breaker, made sure the thermostat was switched to "off" and attempted to replace both 15a fuses. As soon as the fuse made contact with the fuse holder it sparked and immediately blew the fuse. This happened on both the AC and furnace fuse ports.

Is there another place I should be shutting this down on? I was thinking about disconnecting the batteries and trying it again, but it was too dark out at the time.

Any ideas why this is happening? This is our first TT and I feeling really overwhelmed......Have a trip planned this weekend and we're going to need heat.

Thanks

danemayer

Hi PeteG,

Shutting off the 120V AC circuit breakers doesn't cut all power to the fuse box. You'll still have power coming from the battery.

If two fuses in the 12V DC fuse box are blown, with red lights on, that suggests a dead short in some area that's common to both heating and air conditioning. The only thing I can think of is the control box above the air conditioning return. That's where the thermostat signals go, and where relays are used to power both the air conditioner and furnace.

If you're going to investigate that box, use care. You'll have to stand on something to get high enough, and if there's a short, you could get a shock while investigating. That would be bad if you're on a ladder or step stool.

PeteG

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to try and get it in for service...Most shops around here have 4-6 week lead times just to even look at a unit. Last time I had it in for service Camping World held onto it for 7 weeks! Not going back to that place ever again. I was hoping it was going to be something simple.:(

donr827

Might see if you can get a recommendation on a mobile service tech. I have always had good luck using them. Usually cheaper and quicker.
Don