Furnace just started not working

Stormy61

Hi, y'all. I recently purchased a 2016 285 LX Prowler Lynx from the first owner. They had left it sit on a lake in NH for the past 8 years, and spent time in it with their family and grandkids. I'm now living in it full time, in WV. We stayed in it a few times in NH, and the last time was during a cold snap in August before we brought it down here. The last night there, I turned on the furnace, as much to test it out as to warm things up a bit. It worked great, heating the whole place to a comfortable level within 10-15 minutes. I was very pleased, because they rarely used the furnace, I would guess, since they were at the lake between May-Oct, after which the campground closes.

Fast forward to this past week, when we had our first evening where it got a little cooler than normal, on top of 97% humidity from Hurricane Helene pumping the rain in. I thought I'd take the chill off and dry out some of the dampness, so I flipped on the switch for the furnace (all controlled with the same thermostat/blower switch as the AC). The blower came on immediately, and I heard the igniter, but apparently nothing happened with the flame, because I kept hearing it trying to ignite, and no heat was coming from the ducts.

I didn't have to check our propane because we had cooked on the gas stove just before and have since, so I know it's on and full enough. We are on shore power right now, so the igniter wasn't having any issue sparking, but it clearly didn't catch. I've never worked on furnaces, so not sure what to look for, and I know the cool nights will be here before too long and I want to be ready. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice.

RoadJunkie

Is your stove, water heater and/or refer working on propane? Recheck what you think you may know about your propane supply? You may just have some residual air in the line.

jerryjay11

You may want to try clearing any junk from the igniter with air pressure. Sometimes little critters block the flow of LP from the burner.

RoadJunkie

from the tools tab above check this out; https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Troubleshooting Guides and Tips/Furnace_Trouble-Shooting - Gary Brinck.pdf

if the ignitor is clicking & sparking but no flame then the gas valve isn't opening. Sail switch has to close to comlete the circuit for the gas valve to open. Good luck

If the igniter is clicking, then I think the fan has activated the sail switch; The ignitor thinks the fan is running and propane has been asked for and delivered for ignition. If, for whatever reason, there is no ignition the fan and ignitor give up and shut down the heater. Anyway, that's how I understand it works. The OP may have a kink in the system, bad propane valve relay, or any number of reasons why there is no propane at the heater. It may even be the control board that activates the relay.