Furnace Removal

Speedy

I would like to pull out my furnace from it's compartment and need to know if I have to disconnect the duct work or is it connected to an outer box that the furnace slides into. At this point I'm trying to troubleshoot a dead furnace and to look over the entire unit for issues (dirt dobbers and such).

danemayer

I think you can remove the furnace from the cabinet - the cabinet being the part to which the ducts attach. Step 3 below seems key. Suburban says:

SF-20/25/30/35/42, SFV-20/25/30/35/42, SH-35/42 and SHD-2542

1. Remove the vent cap assembly from the outside access door by removing applicable screws, also the four (4)
screws retaining the door to the frame. Remove the door to gain access to the furnace.
2. Turn off gas and power, then disconnect gas and power supply at the furnace. Label wires as necessary.
3. Remove the (1) one tie down screw securing the chamber to the cabinet.
4. Remove the furnace from the cabinet by pulling chamber outward completely to gain access to all controls and
applicable parts.
5. To re-install, reverse this procedure.
6. Rewire applicable wires and perform a leak test on all fittings. Perform a drop pressure test.

Roller4tan

I imagine you'd have to disconnect gas and power lines as well as duct work from inside. My furnace has no "box enclosure". With the outside panel off, you may be able to reach the gas and power, if I remember right as I had to replace the board on mine. The fan would not start and it was the relay for it on the board. I didn't need to remove the furnace to replace the board, but it was tight working in there from the outside. This is on Suburban furnace.

danmayer beat me to it:eek:

Speedy

Dan, I'll take another look for the "tie down screw" prior to removal. Where did you find that instruction? Wife and I have Suburban manuals covering the dinning room table and saw no mention of that.

danemayer

Dan, I'll take another look for the "tie down screw" prior to removal. Where did you find that instruction? Wife and I have Suburban manuals covering the dinning room table and saw no mention of that.

Here's a link. Btw, I doubt you have to pull the furnace out more than a few inches to get to most components. And of course, please be very careful with the propane connections.