Generator Tank Drain

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
With the old Cyclone, draining the single fuel tank was easy using the fueling station pump. The new Cyclone has a second, separate tank dedicated to the generator. I add Stabil anytime I put fuel in either tank but I'm just not convinced that leaving fuel in the tank over the winter is a good idea. For whatever reason Heartland isn't providing a means of draining the tank either.

After looking over what I had to work with and considering my options it looked like siphoning was my best bet. NO...I'm not talking about sticking a garden hose in the filler and chancing a mouth full of gasoline!! The fuel line runs nearly the length of the coach and in newer models is installed outside of the frame in plastic conduit. Being outside of the frame puts the line below the bottom of the tank not to mention making for easy access.

My solution: I cut the 1/4" fuel hose (the larger 5/16" hose is a vent/return line I'm told) and inserted a brass T. I then added a stub hose to the bottom with a fuel shutoff valve and tail hose. Next I activated the primer switch then started the generator. With a suitable can and funnel in place I opened my newly installed valve and a few minutes later the tank was empty and the generator and fuel line were purged of all fuel. There is enough room in the conduit to stuff the tail hose when the chore is done.

I know some will argue that fuel needs to be available to run the generator regularly. I've never had an issue for the periods I store it but with my mod a second fuel valve could be added (and closed) between the T and the tank. The hose I use to drain could then be put in a can of gas and used as the supply to run the generator during storage. Remove the hose from the can and you can, again, run the generator and fuel line dry in just a few minutes.

Attachments

• Gen drain valve.JPG
    Gen drain valve.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 45

porthole

Retired
I know some will argue that fuel needs to be available to run the generator regularly.

Neale, If you are draining all the fuel, and running the generator until it drains the fuel bowl, there is no reason to run it during the winter.

Best practice - change the oil, drain the fuel, fog the engine, restart in the spring.