getting a new TV, what are others towing with

Nbomar

I was well over my legal weight. Empty with just me in the truck I was 31000 gcvw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KNPMCM

I have been pulling 5er's for the past 10 years and have travelled far and wide. IMHO there is only one way to stay safe when pulling a 5er over 14000 lbs. GO DUALLY. The biggest difference besides load capacity is how the truck and trailer behalf together. A SRW wheel width is approx 86" and a 5er is 96". The difference in width becomes a major factor if you are towing on highways that are grooved from the big trucks. The truck and trailer will fight each other to find a centre running point in the groves. This gets really hairy when your coming down a mountain pass with switchbacks. I upgrade to a DRW about 18 months ago and wished I had done it a lot sooner. I can't get over the difference an extra set of tires makes. I also drive mine as a Daily Driver and it is fine. You get a bit extra exercise when you go to the mall and it isn't always easy to find somewhere for the Thunder Thigh's to fit.
Hope you enjoy your new rig.

KNPMCM

Gmcman

Just purchased a new cyclone he 3611js should I have any concerns towing it with a sw 2500 gmc duramax ? The dealership said it would be fine with a slider hitch .

avvidclif

X2 Not near enough payload capacity. At 15,305 dry weight and 3485 hitch weight plus any options, think 350 lb generator. Look at the yellow decal on the door post of your truck and find payload (hitch weight). It will probably be in the 2500 lb range. Your truck would be 1000lb+ overloaded just bringing it home from the dealer.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just purchased a new cyclone he 3611js should I have any concerns towing it with a sw 2500 gmc duramax ? The dealership said it would be fine with a slider hitch .

Sorry to say, dealers lie to make the sale. There is no accountability for them. They take advantage of the uninformed buyer, and sadly you are not the first or the last.

Only you are responsible for knowing your tow limits and capacities of your vehicle.

Check out www.fifthwheelst.com for unbiased, safe towing info.

Nbomar

While all of the above are correct and the truck is technically over weight, I pulled my road warrior for over a year with an F250 with overload bags. It towed ok and didn't have any issues. I have since upgraded to a dually for the stability in windy situations and the sense of security I would be covered if I had an accident. The chances of you getting pulled over by "the weight police" is almost zero, but if you were to be involved in an accident, insurance companies look for any reason possible to not pay! I've been on the wrong side of these deals before so I am trying to protect myself this time. Good luck in whatever you choose. If you do decide to tow with your 3/4 ton, be very careful and mindful of all of your surroundings.

mlpeloquin

Dully for safety. You will get used to driving it as a daily driver like I did. I only wish I had gotten the 4.11 rear so I would not be limited in size and weight if we decide to change or upgrade in the future. 2013 GMC Denali diesel dully.

JanAndBill

Most car/truck salesmen at the auto dealership have no clue when it comes to the towing capabilities of their product. Won't even comment on RV salesmen.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When I bought my 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 SRW with gas engine, I had no plans on buying a 5th-wheel trailer.

Who needs a diesel, I thought . . . :confused:

We had a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 that we were pulling our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner bumper-pull trailer, plus our old 1978 Coachman Cadet 24' trailer before that.

It could pull anything . . . but could it STOP anything?

NOPE!

We had one of those "almost didn't get stopped in time" moments with our Trail Runner attached to the Dodge Ram 1500 . . . and we decided to get a bigger truck that was way more than what we needed for the Trail Runner!

Thus the Chevy 2500HD . . . and living in Colorado, I WANTED the 4.10 rear end!

However . . . circumstances dictated us to upgrade, so we looked at bigger bumper-pulls . . . but wound up with a 5th-wheel trailer (our current Heartland Prowler - which we love, by the way).

But, we decided to find a trailer that fit our truck instead of finding a trailer over buying a new truck, since we already had a brand new truck!

So far it has worked out for us.

Camper10767.jpg EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2007.jpg TruckCamperHomeDepot-IMG_20140828_132314121.jpg RifleCO2014-IMG_2931.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg NewProwler-P1000050.jpg ProwlerSunsetBVKOA-P1000402.jpg ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg ProwlerBVKOAsunrise-P1000424.jpg ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg AZRodeoRally-IMG_5242.jpg ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

In many ways I kinda' wish I had gotten a diesel dually . . .

The only thing a diesel would give us right now that we want would be the exhaust brake.

But we really don't need that with our current choice of trailer.

I know how to drive in the mountains.

Next time, when we are ready to hit the road and retire from the working life, you can bet your booty we will get a diesel dually with the trailer to go along with it!

Let me just say this . . . if you have just one question mark about your tow vehicle . . . look into getting a bigger and better tow vehicle!

When we had our 'Can't stop!' moment . . . it was an eye opener!