GM Diesel Exhaust Fluid update

Rickhansen

I had my GMC truck in for warranty service today. GM recently released an open recall (#11001, interestingly) for "Diesel Exhaust Fluid Calibration Enhancements." I've seen on one of the Diesel boards that others started getting recall notices to bring their vehicles in, but haven't seen my letter yet.

I couldn't get a believable answer out of the service advisor as to what this flash might have changed for us. If anyone comes up with additional information, let us know. Hopefully this will address the low temperature tank sensor issue that some other folks experienced last winter.

The problem I had, by the way, was very hard to start after sitting overnight. The problem was a leaking fuel filter vacuum switch, allowing the fuel from the system to drain back to the fuel tank. There is no pick up pump in the tank so the injection pump has to suck the fuel all the way from the tank and prime itself before the truck would start. It was addressed in tech service bulletin #2546419.

EDIT - I found the following online regarding the new ECM Flash:

#11001: Product Emission - Diesel Exhaust Fluid Calibration Enhancement - (Jul 19, 2011)

Subject:
11001 -- Diesel Exhaust Fluid Calibration Enhancement

Models:
2010-2011 Chevrolet Express
2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD
2010-2011 GMC Savana
2011 GMC Sierra HD

With a 6.6L Turbo Duramax Diesel Engine (LML/LGH)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2010-2011 model year Chevrolet Express, GMC Savana; 2011 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD vehicles equipped with a 6.6L Turbo Duramax Diesel Engine (LML/LGH). The Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) injection system may not operate as intended. If this occurs the Malfunction Indicator Lamp may illuminate, a DEF system warning may be displayed in the Driver Information Center, and vehicle speed could be limited.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2010-2011 model year Chevrolet Express, GMC Savana; 2011 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD vehicles equipped with a 6.6L Turbo Duramax Diesel Engine (LML/LGH).

Vtxkid

I received my letter a couple of days ago... I called my SA yesterday and mentioned to him that I received the recall letter and he looked it up in his system and confirmed it. I asked him how many others, that he was aware of, have come in and had the update done. He told me only one other HD and it was a work truck. I told him I was going to wait a month or so to give Chevy a little more time to make sure that this revision works as expected since I have not had any issues with this concern myself. My SA understood and said that would not be a problem. I just don't want to have to go in for the update and then turn around and have to go back in a couple of months later for another one if I can help it!