Gooseneck adapter

kellyboy

I have two pickups that I can use to pull my 37' Landmark. One is a F250 and the other F550. I am using the F250 with a companion hitch. I pull gooseneck horse and stock trailers a lot more often than I will pull my Landmark. I didn't get the gooseneck adapter because the guys at Explorer USA told me they quit installing them on campers. I am assuming that is because of a liability reason. My F550 has a flatbed with a recessed gooseneck ball welded to the bed. I am unable to put the companion hitch on this truck and I don't want to mount a fifth wheel because I use it to often to pull other gooseneck trailers. What are your opinions of the gooseneck adapters.

Thanks

lwmcguir

We and the neighbors as well have used them for years. No problems in the past however the new campers are built lighter and could be an issue. We have used an adapter on the Augusta but recently installed a Goose Box. Works well and solved the problem. I havent hooked or tried to hook it to the flat bed yet. I have a F550 as well with a FB so next chance I will see if it will work with the Goose Box. Sure works well on the F350. The frame warranty is voided when you use a GN adapter on a pin mounted on a Lippert frame.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Kellyboy,

I used the gooseneck adapter on my sundance until I traded up to the bighorn one month ago today. I am now using a fifth wheel hitch. The Gooseneck sucks! The B&W companion pulls so much better. A lot less chucking and so much easier to hook and unhook from. With the adapter you have to pick your trailer up high to clear and let it way back down to level.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have 4 trailer that are gooseneck on the farm. When I went into the first 5er I was thinking the same thing. I tried to justify it to my self but just couldn't. The Fifth Wheel is the way to go. JMHO.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
One more thing to remember. If you are traveling and break down with your TV, you are limiting yourself to who can help pull your rig in for you.

kellyboy

I am using the companion hitch on my F250. I added overload springs to help with the amount of squatting the rear of the truck would do. But it still seems to have maxed out all the springs anyway. I am just wondering if it is safe to pull this trailer with this truck? It is a 37' landmark. Seems very heavy.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You are most likely over the legal limit with the F250 with a LM. The F550.....no problem.

kellyboy

My F550 has an 11' flatbed with the recessed ball that is welded in. Dealers tells me it would be no problem to hook the gooseneck adapter up to the ball. I have noticed when I hook my horse trailers up to the F550 it seems like the front of my trailers are a little higher than if I hook up to my F250. The bed must be a little higher off the ground than a standard truck bed. Is there an adjustment for this with the reese gooseneck? It seems to be important to level off the trailer before towing.