Hard To Swallow !!!!

Uncle Rog

DE, I am going with an aero tank stk replacement, the GMC is a short bed and I still want to use some bed space for "stuff". It is a clean installation, not noticable at all. It will nearly double my range. With the stk tank yanking the Horn around I get real nervous at 250 miles, this way I have a nice cushion for refills and can take advantage of cheap diesel in some locations. Last fall diesel in DV was astronomical 3.50 if I remember, returning home in Yermo it was 2.75 !!!.........

P.S. With the new tank, not pulling I expect my range to be close a 1000 miles!

Last edited:

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Rog
Let me know how the replacement works out. I have been looking at the Aero tanks also. They appear to be the same type design as transferflow. I like to change out the stock plastic tank. There is something about placing all that weight in a plastic container that has me thinking that the bean counters had their hand in the design of the stock tank. Not good! With the short bed dodge, the options are limited. Transferflow is out, retrax cover, limited bed height. The all steel replacement tank looks like the way to go. Only wish they were on the east coast.

Uncle Rog

I will advise, looks like you can get a 60 gal tank! That would be great, I had to settle for the 48......

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Uncle Rog said:
I will advise, looks like you can get a 60 gal tank! That would be great, I had to settle for the 48......
Uncle Rog, what is the capacity of the stock tank in your 2500? We have the 3500 crew long bed with a 34 gal tank (I think). I haven't pulled the Bighorn yet so I'm not sure what kind of mileage or range I can expect.:confused: We've gotten 18 mpg highway on the last tank, no trailer of course. Thanks

K

Ken Washington

Hi Ray,
You should get about 11 to 12 miles per gallon with what you are driving.

Ken

Uncle Rog

New Tank In Place

Howdy, picked up the GMC with the 48 gal tank in place. I used a creeper last night to check out the install, seems to be very clean. It is a big tank! It extends back from the frame cuurve at the same height a little higher than the rear axle. The stk tank was 26 gal, towing I got 10 mpg avg, running free 18-21 mpg depending on the terrain.....Looking forward to the increased range!.........

Uncle Rog

P.S. to the new tank, I will have to rethink some of my off-road bird hunting techniques, the new tank looks to suceptible to rock damage a mite, I will check out the skid plate that I went cheap on....