Heat pump/furnace come on the same time

14tomcat

Issue is when I switch the Dometic Digital Thermostat to heat, the heat pump AND the propane furnace come on. It appears they are both connected to the same Thermostat, they are not. The Honeywell Thermostat for the furnace dies absolutely nothing! Also, the heat pump produces very little heat, so when the furnace is producing heat, the heat pump is cooling it. They should be separate, they aren't. Have checked the wiring to the thermostats, both only have 1 pair of wires connected to them.
Any ideas?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm assuming, bad to assume, that the Honeywell thermostat is in the bedroom. If it is it will not control the heat. Front AC only.
The Dometic thermostat fan should be set to auto, not high or low.

Peace
Dave

14tomcat

Generally, only 1 thermostat controls the furnace, in our case it is the bedroom unit. Try to set the fan to 'auto" and see if that helps you out.
There is 2 thermostats, a "lever" type Honeywell and 1 is the Dometic digital type. Both are located in the hall next to each other. The Honeywell one does not appear to do anything. Adjust it higher or lower, nothing happens. When I turn on the Dometic digital, the heat pump fan comes on high and the propane furnace also comes on. The furnace is controlled by the Dometic Thermostat and will turn off when the programmed temp is achieved, but the heat pump continues to run. I'm thinking there are some wires that got crossed between the two thermostats

14tomcat

I'm assuming, bad to assume, that the Honeywell thermostat is in the bedroom. If it is it will not control the heat. Front AC only.

Peace
Dave
There is no auto setting on either thermostats

14tomcat

Peace
Dave
Thanks for the info, I got it figured out!

14tomcat

I downloaded the dometic thermostat manual, and learned how it works. Yes, change the FAN setting from high to auto was the solution. I thought selecting FAN would only turn the fan on. I still don't know what the Honeywell thermostat does or what it connects to. I have a separate Dometic tstat in the bedroom