Heater Ticking in roadwarrior

tjwoll05

We own a 2018 Roadwarrior 427. Just had to turn the heater back on for the first time in about a month. When we did it started ticking. Sounds like something to do with the thermostat possibly. Has anyone ever heard of this? The ticking lasted about five to 10 minutes and then went away about a minute before the heater turned off. The ticking is pretty loud and given that it’s in the master bedroom makes it difficult to sleep so you have to turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sounds like maybe it's not getting propane.? just a guess. could be the igniter making the clicking

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tjwoll05

sounds like maybe it's not getting propane.? just a guess. could be the igniter making the clicking

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah we have propane. The furnace works. It sounds like a relay clicking. It’s very loud and continues for 5 to 10 min either right before the heater turns on or turns off.

tjwoll05

We own a 2018 Roadwarrior 427. Just had to turn the heater back on for the first time in about a month. When we did it started ticking. Sounds like something to do with the thermostat possibly. Has anyone ever heard of this? The ticking lasted about five to 10 minutes and then went away about a minute before the heater turned off. The ticking is pretty loud and given that it’s in the master bedroom makes it difficult to sleep so you have to turn it off.

Figured it

tjwoll05

I think I may have figured it out. Since the thermostat is trying to switch over from the furnace to heater it’s trying to read two different temps. When I put both temps for the AC and the furnace both at 72 it stopped. Not sure if I have this right but I haven’t heard anything and it cycled on and off once so far.

tjwoll05

I think I may have figured it out. Since the thermostat is trying to switch over from the furnace to heater it’s trying to read two different temps. When I put both temps for the AC and the furnace both at 72 it stopped. Not sure if I have this right but I haven’t heard anything and it cycled on and off once so far.

Nope I thought I did but it started ticking. It’s impossible to sleep while it does that so my wife and I froze last night.

danemayer

Two questions:

1. When it's clicking, about how many clicks per minute?
2. When it's clicking does the temperature of the air coming out the bathroom floor register feel constant, or does it vary?

Resiemon

Sounds like the igniter. You most likely need a new circuit board.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]Assuming that you have propane in the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

CarterKraft

My buddy just had this problem in his 4115 cyclone said it drove him bonkers.
I found this thread on another forum that sounds like the problem and the solution.

It is not a furnace noise at all it is in the Roof A/C unit relay box and is a relay(s) clicking on/off.

If this is the resolution to the problem (he hasn't tried yet) then maybe we could get it added to the user guides.

Yes, mine is the same thermostat and I don't have a heat strip in the A\C that the clicking sound comes out of. Here goes: Make sure the Single Zone LCD thermostat is in the Off condition. Press the "+" button and, while holding it, also press and hold the On/Off Mode button for 3 seconds. LCD will show --. Press the On/Off Mode button again to turn system off. This completes the initialization. The furnace On/Off temperature differential should be set at this time.
"Furnace"- Furnace Mode
In the FURNACE mode the system will cycle the RV's furnace On and Off based on the room air temperature and the temperature set-point on the Single Zone LCD thermostat. The system can be configured to operate using an On/Off differential of either 1 degree F or 2 degree F. This feature is programmed during the system initialization. To set the temperature differential the system must be Off. Press the "-" button and, while holding it, also press and hold the On/Off Mode button for three seconds. Release the On/Off Mode button. Then release the "-" button. Press the "+" button to toggle between "d1 and d2", "d1" for 1 degree F differential and "d2" for 2 degrees F differential.

When I did this originally I thought it would be better to have d1 as the setting. I still had the clicking. When I got fed up last weekend listening to the clicking I did the initialization again and this time I set if for d2. Don't know if that did the trick or just redoing the initialization again, but it worked with no more clicks. Hope this helps fix yours as I know what you are going through.

Lynn1130

It is not a furnace noise at all it is in the Roof A/C unit relay box and is a relay(s) clicking on/off.

I was going to suggest that earlier but I thought that the OP said that it was happening after the furnace lit. If not that would be my suggestion also. Generally on mine the fan would kick on and after a few seconds the furnace relay in the AC would try to light the furnace. It might go 3 attempts or it might go 8 but it always lights. I have the replacement part, figuring that it would do it in the middle of an elk hunt at 5 degrees, but it has continued to work. This last hunt it did not do it at all, of course. I think there are a number of threads on that problem and what to do to fix it. If that is it.

carl.swoyer

I had some loud ticking several years ago. Ended up being my transfer switch. The cause was a bad pedastal. The Campground changed the outlet and the clicking disappeared.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CarterKraft

I really think you guys would have to hear this "clicking" and its source to understand the problem.

On my buddies Cyclone everything worked correctly, EMS on 50 amp pedestal says all is good.

The clicking is on/off relay noise for 3ish cycles and is originating from the bedroom A/C unit no where near the furnace. It seems to happen before Furnace call for heat but it is unclear exactly what is happening when the A/C will click.

He had to run the bedroom A/C fan on low in 27* weather to try and drown out the noise.

- - - Updated - - -

I really think you guys would have to hear this "clicking" and its source to understand the problem.

On my buddies Cyclone everything worked correctly, EMS on 50 amp pedestal says all is good.

The clicking is on/off relay noise for 3ish cycles and is originating from the bedroom A/C unit no where near the furnace. It seems to happen before Furnace call for heat but it is unclear exactly what is happening when the A/C will click.

He had to run the bedroom A/C fan on low in 27* weather to try and drown out the noise.

The clicking is the same clicking when the fan changes from low to high in the A/C unit but nothing happens in this instance, on/off on/off on/off on/off nothing... Maybe 2 seconds for the click cycle...

Lynn1130

originating from the bedroom A/C unit no where near the furnace.

Yes, that is what we were saying. The clicking comes from the AC unit. The relay for the furnace is in that compartment with the AC connections. The furnace fan kicks on, and a few seconds later the clicking will begin as the furnace calls for heat. It may go once, it may go eight times or more before the furnace lights. If I could get to the trailer right now I could show you the box that needs to be replaced.

Do a search on the site for clicking/furnace. Several threads will come up and at least one has the info on the relay box.

CarterKraft

Yes, that is what we were saying. The clicking comes from the AC unit. The relay for the furnace is in that compartment with the AC connections. The furnace fan kicks on, and a few seconds later the clicking will begin as the furnace calls for heat. It may go once, it may go eight times or more before the furnace lights. If I could get to the trailer right now I could show you the box that needs to be replaced.

Do a search on the site for clicking/furnace. Several threads will come up and at least one has the info on the relay box.

Great! we are on the same page. I don't have allot to add about changing that relay box but I do question just "changing" it out. In my professional experience relays don't fail like this... the control circuitry might but not relays. Changing the box wholesale seems like asking for trouble to me with a "false" fix only to reoccur in the middle of the night when I am having the best sleep of the trip haha.

I need to read up on how the 3 unit A/C-Furnace system works in a CY or RW to see what is even going on and how to use each thermostat effectively for heat.