Home septic system and RV tank evacuation

I note products available to aid in evacuating holding tanks at home should the need arise. Although I do not know the rated capacity of the underground tank on my property, it is obviously large enough for service mandated for a 3 bedroom house. I have never had a need to have it pumped and it functions as expected; and has for over 25 years. The holding tanks on my RV are 32 gallons each (gray and black); there is a ground surface clean out wye that is accessible close enough to my drive way that if necessary, I could route the sewer hose to the clean out wye and empty the tanks. Question: Is it a safe option to introduce the potential of up to 60 gallons of water, effluent, waste products, etc at one time to the septic tank? Thank you in advance for any similar experiences anyone has had in this area.

Scott

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Scott, you shouldn't have any problems at all. Your in ground tank is probably 1000 gallons. More liquids only make it work better. When we lived in the woods, we ran the gray tanks into the woods using a 100ft garden hose & adapter cover at the sewer connection on the rig.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
As stated you probably have a 1,000 gallon baffled tank. Systems are designed at 100 gallons per bedroom per day (at least it was when I was doing it). The solids settle in the tank, the liquids flow from the tank to a distribution box and then to a Leach field where perforated pipe release the liquid into sandy soil, it is naturally filtered and again joins the water system. Long way of saying you will be fine.

TeJay

Ditto, The same here. I ran above and underground to my 4" clean out and have used it for the MH now the TT for 12 years. It is really, really convenient to leave the campground and travel home and allow the black tank to slosh around and break down while we travel. I usually dump a few days before leaving and then have about 1/4 tank, put in some detergent to aid in breaking things down then head home.
TeJay

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have been told by my septic guy that dumping into the tank its not a bad thing.
What is bad is the holding tank chemicals designed to kill bacteria.
Your septic system relies on bacteria.

Peace
Dave

truknutt

Committed Member
...Although I do not know the rated capacity of the underground tank on my property, it is obviously large enough for service mandated for a 3 bedroom house. I have never had a need to have it pumped and it functions as expected; and has for over 25 years. Scott

I'm intrigued that your tank hasn't been pumped in over 25 years. As I don't exactly know where you reside, I found these guidelines for VA:
[h=3]How ofter should I have my septic tank cleaned or pumped?[/h]Over time, unwanted sludge builds up, restricting the growth of septic-feeding bacteria that are good for your system. As a homeowner, it is your responsibility to make sure you keep your septic system in good working order. At minimum, VA State law requires anyone within the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area (CBPA) to have their septic tank cleaned/pumped every five years. The VA General Assembly enacted the act in 1988. For more information, visit http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/chesapeake_bay_local_assistance/theact.shtml. Five years is the maximum amount of time you should allow between cleanings. Certain situations, like large families, high water usage or multiple tanks will require more frequent cleaning. If you have a garbage disposal we recommend having your septic system cleaned every 1-3 years.

The key, of course, is knowing the size of your tank, as all timetable calculations begin there.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Scot,
Here is my 2 cents. Knowing that different states have different design requirements for septic systems it might be best to first find out if that "wye" is into your tank or past your tank and reallyis used for field inspection and hydrocleaning in case they get clogged. Usually when a company comes to clean a tank out they open the 18" cover and put their suction line down and visually look into the tank as to see what they are removing and if the tank is operating properly. THis can not be done throught a 4" wye.

Jim