Horrible smell

Ebates23

We have a 2019 highland torque 371, are the 3rd owners and the smell coming out of the toilet is ungodly! We’ve flushed the tank multiple times, changed the rubber seal and it’s still a huge issue. It’s even smelling when we open the drawers in the bedroom.
Does anyone have suggestions? What’s the strongest/most effective black water treatment? We’re parked at our family’s house and drain our tank once a week…. But this smell is making me want to burn this thing down

Roller4tan

Could be coming from your sink or shower tank. The drain relief valve under your bath sink may be stuck open and pulling odors from that tank when the pressure changes from flushing the toilet. Also, if you have a ceiling vent in the bathroom and it's open your tank vent may be nearby and that cycles back into the bathroom.
Draining tank and filling flushing afterwards helps get all the S**t out.

My opinion, experience

rhodies1

Buy a Valterra Back Tanker flusher and back flush your tank from outdoors back into the tank. The black tank flushers that are built into each unit are useless. Hook the back flusher onto the outlet pipe. Attach water hose, open sewer valve and let everything drain out. Leave sewer valve open in trailer and close the Valterra valve and flush water back into the tank. Pay close attention to the amount of water you are pushing into the tank. I also purchased a small inline water meter which attaches to the water hose so I can monitor the amount. These flushers work great and clean your tank out.

NYSUPstater

After dumping the black tank and doing a backlash (currently w/ built in unit), I'll keep doing this until the water is pretty much clear when viewing it thru the clear elbow on hose. Then add 10-12 gallons of water and Happy Camper tank additive along w/ 1 capful each of Calvin water softener and cheap fabric softener. The latter helps keep the inside of tank slick so stuff doesn't stick and the HC aids in odor and paper breakdown. It's a process, but does seem to work in our case but may not be for everyone. This way, on way home, all the water can slosh around in tank thus giving it a real good rinsing and loosen anything that didn't come lose 1st time around. Only caveat is at end of season, I have to rinse the black tank at campground until water is fully clear cuz we don't put any water in it while it sits in storage during the winter and cold temps

It's possible as well that the air admittance valve could be an issue and needs replacing. Probly under the bathroom sink and easy to do and p/u part at Lowes.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have a 2019 highland torque 371, are the 3rd owners and the smell coming out of the toilet is ungodly! We’ve flushed the tank multiple times, changed the rubber seal and it’s still a huge issue. It’s even smelling when we open the drawers in the bedroom.
Does anyone have suggestions? What’s the strongest/most effective black water treatment? We’re parked at our family’s house and drain our tank once a week…. But this smell is making me want to burn this thing down
You likely have a leaking pipe or tank. AND it may not be the black tank. Keep in mind that the sour water in a grey tank will stink badly because most people do not add any odor treatment
Our grey #2 tank had a small crack that didn’t leak until full but stunk to high heaven in few days after dumping
You need to investigate the complete system

Lyle