How much should be wrong with a new 2018 Prowler?

Just took my new 2018 Prowler on it's maiden voyage. I must say I am very disappointed. This is my second new RV and the list of things wrong is extensive. I don't know how they put an "OK to ship, inspected by... " sticker on the camper. My main issues is only the left side of both axles have the brakes wired and neither on the right side are wired. I would think this is a serious safety issue. I discovered it when checking the hubs for the second time (first time after an hour, which were all equally warm). At 2 hours I checked again and the left rear was hot. I looked under to see if the front or rear axle had brakes. Only the left side has brakes?? I pulled the rubber ez lube cover and there was a little watery grease so I bought a grease gun, put about 8-10 pumps in (until I could see a little grease pushing out) and went on. All hubs seemed to remain constant after that but I need to pull the wheel and see if the bearings had any damage. Again, this is only the first thing on my list.

Here are the pics of left and right. The wires are easily visible on the left axles. You can't see the wire stubs on the right side in the picture but they are coming out of the hub and unconnected.
left.jpg
right.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The brake wires normally run through the axle from one side to opposite side brakes. Check yours closely.
If you put that many pumps of grease into the E Z Lube Zero til the grease came out I think there is a good chance that you pumped enough to contaminate your brakes.
Pull and inspect them.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I would schedule a visit with your dealer's service department (or other authorized repair shop) and get that looked at right away!

We had a list of around 20 things that needed to be fixed on our Prowler, but none of them was anything that couldn't wait until the end of the camping season and get them all fixed in one trip to the shop.

20 issues on a new camper? Nice quality control. I certainly wasn't expecting that to be normal. I'm right around 20 as well. Some of it should have been done by the dealer for prep, but some of it was at the factory (like the split wood on 2 cabinets where they screwed the catch in too close to the edge then filled it with puddy).

dave10a

I am looking to trade my 2012 trailer in for a new one and this situation and others I have read on this forum does not help me with my decision :confused:

JohnD

I am looking to trade my 2012 trailer in for a new one and this situation and others I have read on this forum does not help me with my decision :confused:

Doesn't matter what brand of RV you buy . . .

There will always be a few things that need to be addressed under warranty.

I understand a few things, but 20 seems like a lot.

I also looked closer at the wires on the right side of the axles and they are connected to wires coming out of the axles.

Ok... 19! Lol!

dave10a

You are correct to some extent. However, there is a lot of consideration, and the type and number of complaints for a product is one of them. It took me over a year to work out the bugs and defects in my trailer. I think I will be a little smarter in picking out my next unit :) experience coupled with knowledge are great teachers.

JohnD

Unfortunately, you can't find every issue during the PDI . . .

Actually using the RV out on the road is often the only way to find many problems.

That's kind of a catch 22... I need the systems to work when I go out but you can only check so much in the PDI. Turns out (thanks to owning a cabin cruiser with similar systems and another TT) that by using the trailer the functioning of the system becomes much more critical. Like the water pump not working (valves still set to winterize)! During the PDI they had city water connected and turned on the pump (could hear it running)... both 'appeared' to work but reality was only the city water was providing pressure. Can't spend the weekend without fresh water! Pull the bottom out of the cabinet, figure out the suction was coming thru the winterization line then set the valves for normal operation :D

JohnD

Pull the bottom out of the cabinet, figure out the suction was coming thru the winterization line then set the valves for normal operation :D

I winterize our Prowler myself and after the first winter when I dewinterized it I thought I'd try out everything while it was parked in our side yard.

I fired up the water heater (both electric and gas) to make sure it worked, then took a shower . . . only to find luke warm water.

Bummer . . .

Come to find out I had forgotten to close the hot water heater bypass valve, so the hot and cold water was mixing in both the hot and cold water lines.

ProwlerWHshutoffValve-P1000759.jpg

Seriously. Momma said she smelled gas on the first trip out. A little soapy water reveals an obvious leak. I guess Heartland couldn't afford some soapy water for the inspection? The unit is a 2018 and was inspected on 07/31 per the sticker. Just over a month ago. <frustrated>
gasleak.jpg
inspected.jpg

JohnD

We get good gas (porpane) mileage on our Prowler . . .

Nearing the end of our third season and still on the first tank of gas.