how to search for LP gas leak

Our 2023 Mallard seems to have an LP gas leak. Our detector will sound off after either using the stove or heater, usually after an hour or two of use on the stove or after heater has come on.

How do you check for leaks? I ordered a portable detector and plan to check around stove burners and the tank connections. Is it a matter of following the lines from the tanks under the RV and "sniffing" with detector along the path and then again around where connections are made to heater, stove, fridge? I assume if I follow the lines it will take me to those connections and hopefully a panel that I can open to view and "sniff" connections for leaks? Are there any tech specs with diagrams of hose paths?

Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's the lP detector that sounds off, not the CO or smoke detector?
I would do exactly what you have proposed. Follow the line.
Odd that it alarms only after use of the stove or furnace.
I always have a gas sniffer in my tool box, good thing to have.

Peace
Dave

Yes…the LP detector (at floor level) that runs off the main RV battery, not the smoke alarm on ceiling.

Why do you say odd as both furnace and stove use LP to run?

wdk450

An inexpensive gauge to see if you have a propane system leak (but not locate it) is like this:

To use this to check for a propane system leak: Turn off ALL propane appliances:
1. Turn OFF the propane gas supply at the tank being used.
2. Screw the gauge on the tank in use inline with the propane supply hose to the regulator.
3. Turn ON the propane tank valve, wait a few seconds, note that the gauge needle is in the green, then turn OFF the supply propane tank valve.
4. Observe the needle on the tank gauge - With no leaks in the system it should remain steady in the green area.

SLO

IF you’re sure the detector only sounds after stove or heater had been on for awhile, then it’s not a pressurized line leak. Meaning checking the lines before the stove or heater is useless. If it were a pressurized line you would have to LP detector sounding all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes…the LP detector (at floor level) that runs off the main RV battery, not the smoke alarm on ceiling.

Why do you say odd as both furnace and stove use LP to run?
I didn't say it's odd that they both use lP, I said it's odd that they both trigger an alarm after use.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You can buy an inexpensive handheld gas detector device on Amazon to check the gas fittings for leaks rather than slopping soapy water on them. The one I used when we had a rig is what found the not fully tightened furnace fitting following dealer service on it. We, too, would get a wiff of mercaptan when the furnace ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

IF you’re sure the detector only sounds after stove or heater had been on for awhile, then it’s not a pressurized line leak. Meaning checking the lines before the stove or heater is useless. If it were a pressurized line you would have to LP detector sounding all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My leak WAS a pressurized line leak (Cracked right angle fitting another RV servicer found after 90 minutes of troubleshooting) which we could smell most of the time, BUT THE PROPANE ALARM NEVER SOUNDED. The Alarm sounded when am unlit butane lighter was used right at the detector to test it.
I think the placement the RV designers use for the propane alarm is stupid. You use propane mainly in the area of the kitchen (also at nearby water heater and furnace) but my propane detector was/is mounted on the rear wall of the trailer, separated from propane sources by an island kitchen cabinet wall.