I-75 Closure in Tennessee

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Closure for northbound and southbound may last several weeks!
Here's a link to see if there is more current info than what I'm posting here: I-75 Closure News

Interstate 75 shut down at Kentucky-Tennessee line for weeks

<time datetime="2016-02-27T18:11:39Z" class="creationdate wn-time gmt dst-switch new" style="display: block; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 8px; clear: both; font-style: italic; line-height: 0.5em;">Saturday, February 27th 2016, 1:11 pm EST</time><time datetime="2016-02-27T22:12:58Z" class="lastediteddate wn-time gmt dst-switch new" style="display: block; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 8px; clear: both; font-style: italic; line-height: 0.5em;">Saturday, February 27th 2016, 5:12 pm EST</time>Posted by Denise Johnson, Traffic ReporterCONNECT

FOX19 -Interstate 75 is shut down both north and southbound just south of the Kentucky - Tennessee line due to a rock slide. The highway expect to be shut down for weeks per the Tennessee Department of Transportation.
The 511 phone traffic update say's it is estimated to be closed until March 24.
You can call 1-877-244-0065 or click here.
The rock slide was reported at 3:45 p.m. on Friday. Cars were being hit by falling rocks, this is what forced officials to shut down the Interstate. There were no reports of injuries per the TDOT.
The shut down couldn't come at a worse time with Spring Break about to begin in March. There will be thousands of people affected by this closure. The detour is between 26 & 33 miles.
The detour would normally take about one hour, but with heavier traffic could take hours.
There is no estimate on when the Interstate will be open.
The detours posted by Tennessee officials are below.
SB 75 traffic is diverted off at mile marker 160 the Jellico exit according to the Campbell Co.Sheriff's Office.

• SB 75 is shifted to State Road 297 west to State
  • Road 63 and then back to Southbound 75 at exit 141 per
NB 75 is be rerouted at Caryville exit mile marker 134

• NB 75 traffic is being shifted off onto US Highway 25 West. This is a 33 mile detour from Caryville to Jellico on US 25 this will add with normal traffic around one hour, heavier traffic expect much longer travel.
Truck drivers are suggesting the following route if you are traveling southbound through Tennessee:

• Take 71 south into Louisville then pick up I-65 south to Nashville, take 24 south out of Nashville to avoid Tennessee completely.
The detour routes are small back roads many of which are two lanes.
Copyright 2016 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Kbvols

Thanks for information. We travel I-75 frequently from Ohio to Knoxville fortunately we are not going to K-ville till mid April. This happened a couple years ago and was a nightmare. 75 is heavily traveled hopefully they will get cleared up quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

driver311

i pull trailers for rvsforless . how would u like to do that route 3 times a week. this happened 3 or 4 yrs ago also. it takes at least 2-3 hrs to drive the detour.

NWILSON

i pull trailers for rvsforless . how would u like to do that route 3 times a week. this happened 3 or 4 yrs ago also. it takes at least 2-3 hrs to drive the detour.
What's the time difference from Northern Indiana coming down 65 to Nashville then across 40?

Kbvols

2 or 3 times a year thru Dayton and Cincy towing is enough for me.

MCTalley

We got stuck doing the bypass one time, fortunately without a trailer in tow. The news article and other posters here are correct - with everyone using the bypass, it can potentially take two to three hours. I-65 is a good alternative, even if it is about 80 miles west. You could cut across the Cumberland Parkway to I-65, down to Nashville, then back across I-40 to Knoxville and probably still beat the folks sitting in traffic on the bypass.

NWILSON

Here's a link to the TENNESSEE DOT UPDATE for the most recent information.
They are now routing commercial traffic to 25E which takes you through the Cumberland Gap tunnel. That should improve drive times on 25W

NWILSON

Posted Wednesday (3-2-16) on the TDOT website:

Southbound lanes of I-75 are expected to be reopened on or before March 17, and one lane on the northbound side is expected to be reopened on or before March 24. The entire repair project is scheduled to be complete on or before April 15, 2016.

- See more at:

http://www.tn.gov/news/37998#sthash.Z07ThmTD.dpuf

Kbvols

Thanks for update. I hope it is before April 15th as we are heading to Knoxville for the weekend. Thanks Again!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
It was just announced that both lanes on the southbound side of I-75 will be opened tonight (March 9) at 9:00 pm. One lane of the northbound side will be opened on March 15th with projection of all lanes opened by April 15th.

Kbvols

It was just announced that both lanes on the southbound side of I-75 will be opened tonight (March 9) at 9:00 pm. One lane of the northbound side will be opened on March 15th with projection of all lanes opened by April 15th.

Yeah!! Just in time for the Orange n White game. GBO,!!

Hope you all are doing well!