I know naaaathing!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
All,

We have a 2004 GMC 1-ton dually, extended cab. Love the truck. But here recently while towing, and sometimes not towing, out of the blue we will have four chimes, and the brake light flashes for a split second, but nothing on the dash read-out, describing any problem. We're not even braking when this happens. It even happened once sitting still, with truck in park, idling. This might happen once or twice on a 600 mile trip... or not. We are not savvy to do any work on it ourselves, but would like to know if there are some simple tests we could do to figure out what this is.

Any ideas? It would be hard to take in and explain/recreate for a repair shop when it happens so infrequently.

TIA,

Erika

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
My wife's car will do this if we have driven 120 miles without stopping. This is a warning to take a rest break. Just a wild guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

TravelTiger

Not the parking brake, I don't believe. The chime is only 4 "dings", not continuous. In my internet searches there was a suggestion of the master cylinder, but usually if it is the problem, the display tells you such.

Not a warning to take a break, it just started in the last 3 months.

Have had the truck oil changed 2 weeks ago, etc., no brake fluid low or anything. Brakes were done last year in May, and checked again this December.

MCTalley

Here's a thread about a possibly faulty ABS sensor causing four chimes and a brief ABS light.

Might see if the local auto parts store can pull codes and see if there are any stored that might lead to a solution.

Speedy

Malcolm is correct that it is the ABS sensor in the front wheel bearing. They can develop a short/broken wire and cause the alert. $55 part and getting dirty crawling under there.

olcoon

Tony & Erika,
I don't know if you saw my recent post or not, but we are having a similar problem, but only when towing. It started with the controller saying I'd lost connection with the brakes, & when I stopped to check it, didn't see anything obvious. Continued on, without trailer brakes, then I regained the connection & had it the rest of the way home. We were in Ohio, or Indiana when it happened. The only thing is that it would occasionally ding once or twice & show nothing on the controller.

TravelTiger

Here's a thread about a possibly faulty ABS sensor causing four chimes and a brief ABS light.

Might see if the local auto parts store can pull codes and see if there are any stored that might lead to a solution.

Thanks, this sounds like a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Tony & Erika,
I don't know if you saw my recent post or not, but we are having a similar problem, but only when towing. It started with the controller saying I'd lost connection with the brakes, & when I stopped to check it, didn't see anything obvious. Continued on, without trailer brakes, then I regained the connection & had it the rest of the way home. We were in Ohio, or Indiana when it happened. The only thing is that it would occasionally ding once or twice & show nothing on the controller.

Your problem is different from the post here, in that it only happens when towing. Suggest you look at the plug on your truck and trailer. It sounds like you're losing the ground connection. Clean the contacts and spray it WD40 every so often. This happened to me off and on until I finally replaced the plug on the truck.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are enough auto mechanics on this forum that should be able to steer you in the right direction. The ABS sensor suggestion sounds reasonable to me although I am not a mechanic. Some on the forum are even GM trained so I would listen to them first.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Take the truck to someone with a scan tool and find out what the code is. Otherwise you will be using the "shotgun" approach to repair your truck and that can be costly.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Hans Schultz says... "Take to an auto parts store and have the code read".
That is a Hogans Heroes reference right?

Speedy

My Banks IQ system has a built in code reader and I have never gotten a code from the ABS sensor. You can try the parts store route since its free but I'm willing to bet that you won't have a stored ABS code.

TravelTiger

Thanks all, it's really not the ABS light, it's the brake light. I hope some kind of code is recorded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If it's a HARD code (lite stays on) it will be there. If not, it still might be there as a history code. A good scan tool ( GM tech 2) will find it if it's there. The ABS works off of wheel speed. I wonder if you have a worn front hub bearing. If it's worn enough, it could cause the sensor to go wacko. BTW, the rear wheels only have one sensor. It's in the diff and monitors pinion gear speed.

wrgrs50s

It sounds like the emergency brake light is what your describing on yours, it may be a simple switch. My wifes Equinox is flashing ABS and Stabilitrac needs servicing with an occassional Brake light with chimes, so we're totally confused. I talked with a mechanic here in Kaufman and he stated that he has a code reader specificly for the abs system. The ones they use at auto zone will only read emmission codes. They will check it for free at Double S automotive in Kaufman on HWY 175, that's where we'll be taking ours.