Internet Access on the road

RanCarr

We got Verizon wireless. This way we have our own wifi everywhere we go. We were very disappointed in the quality of wifi in the CGs, even the expensive Resorts have poor wifi service. We can also take our home telephone with us.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We've used a Verizon USB modem for the past 3 years. There has only been one area that has been a problem and that area has since been upgraded to "Extended Wireless" so it works for us now in that area but still not as good as when we're in a normal Verizon area. I just ordered a Mifi4510 from Verizon and expect it tomorrow.
I was also told that even during our new 2 year contract, we can suspend service temporarily but the suspended time does not count against our contract time. Hopefully this is a true statement. I plan on suspending service while we're at home. Overall, I've been very pleased with Verizon and their customer service people.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I have a US Cellular air card, and have had no problems at any location. I tried Verizon, but it did not work at the home base. We were between 2 towers and the connection jumped back and forth. Finally Verizon asked us to end the contract and refunded every $. US is also $10 less per month for the same amount of down loads, etc. Right now I am satisfied, at least for the next 10 minutes.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I also like to make up unique names so when people look for a wifi signal mine usually stands out...and gives me a chuckle every once in a while.

So far I've used

ShhhWeCanHearYouHavingSex
SurveillanceVan#2
IveSeenYouNaked
PrettyFlyForAWiFi
GoToSpot9ForAgoodTime
EyePeeOutside
TrappedInRouterSendHelp

I've had one of my friends ask me one morning if I happened to see a Police van in the park. I still haven't told him yet.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I also like to make up unique names so when people look for a wifi signal mine usually stands out...and gives me a chuckle every once in a while.

So far I've used

ShhhWeCanHearYouHavingSex
SurveillanceVan#2
IveSeenYouNaked
PrettyFlyForAWiFi
GoToSpot9ForAgoodTime
EyePeeOutside
TrappedInRouterSendHelp

I've had one of my friends ask me one morning if I happened to see a Police van in the park. I still haven't told him yet.

On what a great chuckle this morning! Thanks JD.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We still use a old Verizon PC5740 broadband wireless card. Probably should update but it works well for us, is on the unlimited and on our trips coast to coast we have not found a place it doesn't work.

Bill, just dont give up the unlimited plan when you do upgrade. We recently had to go to the 10 gig plan as we went over last month.

3Gstore

Bill, just dont give up the unlimited plan when you do upgrade. We recently had to go to the 10 gig plan as we went over last month.

Are you using a router or just the modem by itself? I just uploaded a video of the new bandwidth monitoring on the Cradlepoint NetBSD routers. You can configure them to kill the connection so you don't end up going over and get billed. You can check out a demo of how it works below: