Inverter Solution Challenge

GregD904

Hello,

I currently have a Heartland Prowler Lynx 25LX which is 30’. This is a great camper and we use it quite a bit. We have started taking trips where we may be boondocking periodically without our generator, such as in a Wal-Mart parking lot or a state park.

I have spent a lot of time researching inverters, how to wire them, whether I should have an inverter/converter, size, mounting location…etc. I have seen where you can change all of your RV’s plugs to work on the inverter with a transfer switch, or just use the inverter with a single plug or plug directly into the unit itself, or where someone wires an RV “outlet” into one. There are so many options it’s a bit daunting on what to choose.

The way my travel trailer is designed, I do not have the best setup for mounting an inverter, versus some of the other RV’s I have seen in YouTube videos. There is a 3 seat “bench” in our trailer, that folds flat into a bed. Under the the seats is an open “storage” area next to the furnace. This area it is very difficult to store due to the angle of the bench when trying to access it, but, this area would be great to for an inverter to be mounted.

Based on all the research I have done; people are saying to mount an inverter a close to the batteries as possible. In my camper, this is not possible. The storage area under the 3-seat bench is about 12-13 feet or more from the batteries on the front tongue. Additionally, I have read that you need very thick, either 1 or 0 AWG wires from your batteries to an inverter so they don’t burn up. If I were to mount the inverter here, I would have to drill some type of hole in the floor to get the wires from the batteries up and connected to the inverter. I am not a fan of doing this as I would not know how to protect it underneath from water nor want to damage my camper by drilling.

My question is, would my above solution work, having an inverter that “far” from the batteries? I would only get a 1500-2000w inverter and we would only use it for coffee maker, charging devices, a small fan, nothing big. I am okay with keeping an extension cord coiled up under the seat plugged in and then pulling it out when we need it, as this seems like the least intrusive and least complicated solution.

Apologize for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough in my description. Any thoughts, solutions or ideas anyone has would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Greg

centerline

Hello,

I currently have a Heartland Prowler Lynx 25LX which is 30’. This is a great camper and we use it quite a bit. We have started taking trips where we may be boondocking periodically without our generator, such as in a Wal-Mart parking lot or a state park.

I have spent a lot of time researching inverters, how to wire them, whether I should have an inverter/converter, size, mounting location…etc. I have seen where you can change all of your RV’s plugs to work on the inverter with a transfer switch, or just use the inverter with a single plug or plug directly into the unit itself, or where someone wires an RV “outlet” into one. There are so many options it’s a bit daunting on what to choose.

The way my travel trailer is designed, I do not have the best setup for mounting an inverter, versus some of the other RV’s I have seen in YouTube videos. There is a 3 seat “bench” in our trailer, that folds flat into a bed. Under the the seats is an open “storage” area next to the furnace. This area it is very difficult to store due to the angle of the bench when trying to access it, but, this area would be great to for an inverter to be mounted.

Based on all the research I have done; people are saying to mount an inverter a close to the batteries as possible. In my camper, this is not possible. The storage area under the 3-seat bench is about 12-13 feet or more from the batteries on the front tongue. Additionally, I have read that you need very thick, either 1 or 0 AWG wires from your batteries to an inverter so they don’t burn up. If I were to mount the inverter here, I would have to drill some type of hole in the floor to get the wires from the batteries up and connected to the inverter. I am not a fan of doing this as I would not know how to protect it underneath from water nor want to damage my camper by drilling.

My question is, would my above solution work, having an inverter that “far” from the batteries? I would only get a 1500-2000w inverter and we would only use it for coffee maker, charging devices, a small fan, nothing big. I am okay with keeping an extension cord coiled up under the seat plugged in and then pulling it out when we need it, as this seems like the least intrusive and least complicated solution.

Apologize for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough in my description. Any thoughts, solutions or ideas anyone has would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Greg

the inverter should be close to the batteries to minimize the size of wire needed to feed it from the batteries.... as the run gets longer, thhe wire needs to be bigger... bigger and longer battery wire equates to exponentially higher costs... but its completely do-able without any issues as long as you dont mind the cost... and i would go with the largest inverter you can afford, because they only consume power as needed to supply the load, so a large unit running at an "idle" will be more efficient and use less power than a smaller unit inverting at a moderately high load...

and dont install in in a confined space, (add louvers) as it needs ventilation to cool properly.... especially when the weather is warm..

Oregon_Camper

First off...I'm a huge boondocking camper...about 90% of our camping is without hookups. We have 600amp hours of Lithium, 1700 watts of solar, 3000 watt inverter....and love every bit of it.

Now, you have already called out your biggest issue...the distance from your battery bank is too far. Even with 2|0 AWG you're looking at roughly a 10% loss. Not knowing your battery setup, that can be a big deal. Assuming you have Flooded/AGM batteries....remember you can only use 50% of the total amp hours. If you have moved to Lithium, you can use 100% of the stated amp hours.

Have you considered a portable solution? Something like the Jackery 1000 watt solution? Not cheap at $999, but it might be your best solution. Plus you can use it anywhere...not just in the RV. They also offer an optional solar panel that you can deploy during the day to recharge the unit.

Just make sure nothing requires more than 1000w (ie..big hair dryer...microwave) Last tip...get a coffee maker, under 1000 watts and without a heating element. Just brew the coffee and put in a thermos or carafe.

https://amzn.to/2SSuU2w