Is the Big Country frame up to the task of double towing?

adamo

Hi there, I recently picked up a Big Country 3940BHS 5th and am interested in towing my fishing boat behind it which is perfectly legal to do in my state. The boat with trailer together probably checks in between 2500-3000 lbs. I know some 5th wheels come equipped with a rear hitch for this purpose but mine did not but I'm considering adding one but before I do I'm wanting to make sure my trailer frame will be up to the task and what hitch options are out there.

I'm not wanting to start any kind of a debate over any legal matters or anyone's philosophical views as to why you should or should not double tow. Just wanting to make sure I can safely pull the additional load without damaging the trailer and/or worry about loosing the boat half way up the highway as it pertains specifically to my 5th wheel make and model...

Thanks,
-Adam

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There has been discussion about this before but the bottom line is if you add a trailer hitch to the rear of your rv it will void the frame warranty. It you are out of warranty then I guess this is not an issue. Some of the other brands that come with the hitch have different types of frames. Also the hitch that comes standard on the Heartland RVs is designed to haul a bicycle carrier and is limited to 150 lbs. If you have any questions concerning this you can call Lippert (they make the frames) or Heartland Customer Service. But Heartland Customer Service will tell you that it voids the frame warranty.

danemayer

Hi adamo,

Some people are doing what you propose and have had a custom receiver hitch structure welded to the frame. However, Lippert, the frame manufacturer, does not support adding a receiver hitch for towing and if you call them, I'm sure they will tell you that doing so voids the frame warranty. The frame warranty from Lippert is one year, so perhaps losing a few months of warranty doesn't seem like a big deal. But if you do have some kind of frame/suspension problem, you may be on your own - even if you're sure it has nothing to do with the hitch/towing.

jmgratz

Hi adamo,

Some people are doing what you propose and have had a custom receiver hitch structure welded to the frame. However, Lippert, the frame manufacturer, does not support adding a receiver hitch for towing and if you call them, I'm sure they will tell you that doing so voids the frame warranty. The frame warranty from Lippert is one year, so perhaps losing a few months of warranty doesn't seem like a big deal. But if you do have some kind of frame/suspension problem, you may be on your own - even if you're sure it has nothing to do with the hitch/towing.

I believe the new frame warranty is 5 years.

adamo

Thanks for the responses.

I've been reading all through the Big Country section of the site and the information I've come across is all pretty vague on what the frame will actually tolerate structurally other than to say that Lippert voids the warranty if you add a hitch. By the same note Ford voids my warranty for deleting my DPF filter and EGR valve too but we all know it makes for a better running truck and longer engine life.

The question comes back to what can be done safely and reasonably. In my mind's eye, if the GVWR or the trailer checks in at 14,000# and it weighs 11,000# dry then I wouldn't think 300-400lbs of tongue weight in the rear would hurt so long as the king pin box can handle the GCWR of trailer + boat. The pin weight is 1900lbs according to Heartland so I can't imagine it would throw things out of balance too awfully bad either.

Heartland says the frame is 12" I-beam and a pretty stout one but that's as far as they go and will not offer any advise on hitch designs etc...

I guess I could call Lippert and ask them to speak to me "off the record" if they will. Maybe get some "hypothetical" frame ratings from them that way. (nod nod wink wink)

jmgratz

If I remember right the warranty on our new Landmark is 2/5. 2 years on components and 5 years on frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Double is not legal here but I have seen it in my travels. I was wondering what the insurance company says about it where it is legal? Do they cover you if you have a problem when the frame manufacturer doesn't?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If I remember right the warranty on our new Landmark is 2/5. 2 years on components and 5 years on frame.

Jim...that's two years bumper to bumper, and 5 years on the structure built by Heartland,i.e., floors, walls, roof...frame is warranted for one year by Lippert...

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What everyone has said above is true including the warranty on the frame being one year by Lippert. After our 08 Big Country went out of warranty, yes we had our dealership install a 2 inch receiver installed, double welding it. We pulled our golf cart for about 3 years. The picture is below.
DSCN0303.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
"The pin weight is 1900lbs according to Heartland so I can't imagine it would throw things out of balance too awfully bad either."

That is dry pin weight, not loaded. I would load as if for a trip, then weigh your coach and truck, then drop the trailer and weigh the truck, so you can get an accurate weights.

danemayer

Jim,

I believe the 2/5 warranty is a Landmark exclusive and the 5 year portion, as Ken and Kathy noted, is on the structure built by Heartland.

jmgratz

Jim...that's two years bumper to bumper, and 5 years on the structure built by Heartland,i.e., floors, walls, roof...frame is warranted for one year by Lippert...

Ok that is not what I understood. I will check into it more

Tombstonejim

The sky is falling the sky is falling.

It is your RV. The question is the frame strong enough? From looking at mine it sure looks strong enough.

To do it right you are gonna haft to weld some cross braces across the rear. And weld on a class III or IV receiver. Any half decent welding place can do this.

It's legal and you want it. Do it.

adamo

The sky is falling the sky is falling.

It is your RV. The question is the frame strong enough? From looking at mine it sure looks strong enough.

To do it right you are gonna haft to weld some cross braces across the rear. And weld on a class III or IV receiver. Any half decent welding place can do this.

It's legal and you want it. Do it.

Suppose you got a good point there Tombstonejim! I'm guessing by your handle you are from Tombstone. I'm just up the road from you in St. David. Small world huh?.

That said is there anyone local you would recommend to do the job right? :)

hoefler

One thing to keep in mind, by adding weight to the rear of the trailer, you will be removing weight from the tongue/pin. This is a simple teeter totter effect, with the axles being the fulcrum, ( pivot point ). If the axles were centered between the pin and rear bumper, when you add 300lbs to the rear, you will remove 300lbs from the front. That will add 600lbs to the axles. Our axles are not centered, if you know the distance from pin to center of suspension, and center of suspension to the rear where the ball is, and the weight on the pin and suspesion, it can be figured to exact as how it all will be effected.

Tombstonejim

http://www.hitchinpostiron.com/

Suppose you got a good point there Tombstonejim! I'm guessing by your handle you are from Tombstone. I'm just up the road from you in St. David. Small world huh?.

That said is there anyone local you would recommend to do the job right? :)

I have used these guys for several hitches. They welded in my gooseneck.

I don't do much business in Bensen. But there must be someone there just as good.

adamo

http://www.hitchinpostiron.com/

I have used these guys for several hitches. They welded in my gooseneck.

I don't do much business in Bensen. But there must be someone there just as good.

Thanks again Jim,

I just went down there today and spoke with Albert. They seemed very knowledgeable and I've got an appointment setup for next Monday to have a Class III receiver welded in with angle brackets and cross bracing plus wiring for $440.00

Funny I had never heard of them before and I work over in Sierra Vista every day. Go figure...

Birchwood

Its simple just call Heartland Rv and ask them if the frame on your Big Country is capable of handling the load or is it only suitable for a bicycle rack???

adamo

Well, it's goodbye bumper and hello hitch.

Ordered this one from etrailer
http://www.etrailer.com/product.asp...GyqfvB3rwCFdeUfgod3hUACQ#prod-acc-onlyreviews

It's a bolt on install but after I get it bolted in place I'm going to go back through and weld it as well and maybe add some angle braces to tie it in further up the frame. Depends on if I can work around the slide or not.

The hitch seems pretty sturdy and is rated for 3500lbs which is enough to pull anything I'm interested in which amounts to a small fishing boat or a couple of quads on a small flatbed.

I did have to cut my back bumper off for it to clear, but I guess you can't have everything. I'll figure out a way to re-frame it around the hitch and weld it back on - that's easy enough. The more important part is getting the hitch installed correctly.

Funny, I thought these I-beam frames would be a little thicker than they are. I measured mine with a pair of dial calipers and it's only .165" thick. The side plates that came with the hitch are .260". Hmmmm...