Item For My Wishlist: An Automated Awning

StrongJava

Just went outside to close the manual awning on our 2008 Bighorn. The wind is picking up a pick before the thunderstorms forecast to roll through here tonight.

Part of me so just wants to be able to push a button to bring it in when I really need to.

I'm curious about the experiences others have had with upgrading their manual awnings to automatic. What make/model? Did you install it yourself? Any gory details?

Tia,

Tim

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I never did replace my manual awning on my last rig. If I would have known how nice these new electric ones are, I would of done it years ago.
It would be very easy to change but you'll have to clean up the old marks some how. possibly sand and paint, if you're anal like me. If you can match the length it will cover most of it. You'll need to run 2 wires to the motor and I would run 2 more up for the LED light strip, and a double switch plate with awning switch and light switch.
If your keeping the rig for a few more years I would do it. You will LOVE it

jbeletti

The thread title mentioned "Automatic Awning" so Ill mention something cool I saw recently. A friend of mine purchased a new Tiffin Allegro bus. It has two awning on it. The awnings come out then down. Gull-wing like. Anyway, automatic awnings used to use wind sensors to know if it was time to come in. Those sensors were not always accurate.

On this Tiffin coach, the awning uses a vibration sensor. So when the prevailing wind starts a vibration within the awning, it retracts to within 3 feet of or so of closed. That 3 foot or so keeps the slide roofs covered. Then later, it comes back out on it's own.

Unknown as to the brand but if a person needed to put awnings on for the first time or replace a broken one - these might be worth looking for.

On edit: This could be the awning I described.

Last edited:

farside291

What I have noticed about the electric awnings is I think they are more susceptible to medium winds than the manual awnings. The gas struts on the arms allow the awing to move up and down when a strong breeze is blowing, this kind of bothered me at first until I realized that's how they work. The A&E I had on my other unit could withstand much higher wind gusts before needing to be tied down. Now if I put the awning out I almost always tie it down. I know I could just retract it with the push of a button but sometimes you really need the shade on that side of the trailer. I have researched the wind sensors and I think it would be great to have that installed on this electric awning but I am not sure if they are compatible.

Lynn1130

I have 40 feet of awning on the sunny side of the house. They are wind and sun controlled. Sometimes the wind issue is a PIA. I do not have that on the trailer and just tie them down if the wind is blowing enough to cause "rattle" which is annoying if you are sleeping. I pulled the awning on the trailer up during the night when it got to rattling and then it rained all over things that I had on the table outside. Can't win. There is no real solution to the awning issues but I do really like the switch inside the trailer so I do not have to go out in my skivvies at 0 dark 30 to retract an awning.

StrongJava

I appreciate the replies so far. I may try the tie down option more, as I would prefer not to pull it in. I agree it is nice to have the awning out to cover chairs and tables.

Has anyone seen an electric awning that designed to be tied down as well? I realize that with the proper knots and enough rope, any awning could be tied down, but that doesn't mean it should be :)

Am I'm still interested in knowing if anyone has specific make/models of electric awnings they like, and did you install it yourself?

Tim

darebee

I keep thinking I want an electric awning and then I must remind myself that the manual ones are structurally rigid when set up properly. We keep a lot of items that we wish to have reasonably dry under it and a constantly retracting electric is counter intuitive. If I need to tie it down might as well keep the manual. OTOH for the 1 night stays electric would be cats pajamas

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
While I find the electric awning much easier to use in our new Prowler, I think the manual awnings are much more solid and can be tied down!

A couple of times this summer when we had our electric awning out while it was raining the awning filled up with water . . . then the weight of the water brought one side of the awning down and dumped water off of it.

While that was cool . . . what wasn't cool was that the awning arm came down on top of the entrance door (whole 'nuther story) and bent the awning arm!

I really don't think that the electric awnings can handle the tie-downs (great, I just bought a new set last year for our old trailer).

iowaone

I am pretty sure both manufacturers of awnings have approved tying down. In any case over the past 6 years I have tied mine down most of the time. I had had campers with both brands of awning. I do agree that in very high winds or a storm that they need to be brought in. However so do the Manuel ones.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Over the 39 years we have been camping, owning our fifth RV, this is the first awning that has been damaged and must be replaced. We were camping at Paul B. Johnson State Park, south of Hattiesburg, Ms., and a tornado passed a bit too close for our comfort. It hadn't touched down, but the winds and the rumbling were enough for me and our tied-down awning. Upon inspection, we saw two tears, one at either end, and thought that was the only damage sustained. We taped them up and enjoyed the rest of our time at the park. Upon trying to close the awning up, manual, we found that we couldn't get it into the locked position. It was tweaked to the right to such an extreme that we couldn't get it to nest or lock in place. We tried five times to push and pull, rubber hammer, and just brute strength to no avail. We decided to get to Home Depot and find alternative methods to secure the arms in place. We bought two U bolts and attached them to the arms just above the tightening handles and made the trip home successfully. The material was tightly wound enough to not cause any issues. We checked the status of our temporary "fix" several times on the way home, and were happy to get home.

This is my question. Camping World will be doing the removal and installation of a Dometic 9100 electric awning. Is there anything I can purchase before we take it in that can be used to plug the holes that will remain after removal of the manual awning? They told me that they will silicone the holes and that is all they do. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have seen many holes siliconed and they seemed alright. The other alternative would be to get a body shop to fix it with fiberglass. The main thing would be for the hole not to leak.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
I've read about wrapping the electric lines from motor into wall to protect them. Any thoughts? Thanks for reply Jim.