January travel to Southern California

olybldr55

Just retired and plan on going south for the winter from Olympia, Washington in January 2018. Looking at either I5 or coastal 101 for roads as our route. Anyone have a route suggestions or have actually pulled their RV on these roads south in winter conditions? Would you leave your RV winterized until getting south or flush the waterlines and travel in potentially freezing temperatures for 2-3 days? We would be staying in RV parks each night with full hookups.
Thanks in advance for your ideas, suggestions and shared experience.

Olybldr

Aandaar

IMO once you hit the valley in California (Redding area). You can definitely dewinterize. Can't speak to Oregon or Washington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

We travel to SoCal/Az from middle of Oregon mid December and again in first week of March. If there is ANY snow or freezing weather slated for Ashland to Redding that we cannot avoid, we go down 101 and jog over to I-5 at Williams, Ca.

It adds roughly 5.5 hours from our home to Williams going the coast route compared to I-5, so we just add another day for travelling.

This is pulling our 44' CY and it's no problem anywhere.... except in the NorCal Redwoods is a little bit puckerish when meeting truck's on that narrow, curvy road...lol

BLR

As LBR said.. We play the Weather alot.. I made a decision in 2012 that I could write a book.. At Reedsport I make the call/decision whether to take a left or head for 1-5 or the coast.. Since we have been going south I have found not to judge our route by the Siskyous but it is the Vortex of Weed.. South of Yreka to Fawndale road is what we pay attention to. Hopefully this helps

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk