Just placed an order for a 3160, questions on access, parking.

mrbillvw

Hi all,
New to the forum and to adjusting our travels to a 5er. We are experienced RVer's having owned smaller class C, A and truck campers. All of which allowed us to easily maneuver in and out of parking lots. We realize this Bighorn will take more planning on our part when in congested areas. Any tricks to share would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Bill & Eva

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Mrbillvw and welcome to this great forum.
The only thing that I would recommend is that when you make turns be sure to watch the RV tires.
Your fifth wheel does not follow around like a bumper pull.

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

We took a class on pulling 5th wheels and it became very helpful, we still refer back to our teachings and its been 5 years of travel now. Some bigger dealerships offer classes, you can probably look it up on line. We took our class at Lazy Days in Tampa.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We bought our Ashland last month and drove over to a open parking lot at a shopping center. I bought a couple of cones and practiced backing the unit up until I could put the unit into a space without knocking the cones over. I also practiced hooking and unhooking the truck using the leveling system. We spent about an hour doing this and now feel pretty good about taking it out. The big thing to know is the back end really swings around when you start making turns. I also have bought a backup camera (still not installed) when I realized you cannot see anything from side of the unit.

sengli

We did the same thing. Went to a vacant parking lot, and I practiced parking the rig in certain sites. We also got a set of those small walky talkies, and I have my wife outback of the rig watching me, whenever I back into anything. It is very hard to see anything behind the coach... that is 30 plus feet in length, even with the best of mirrors. She is my eyes, and has saved our rig from stupid scratches or dings many times. It takes practice.

pegmikef

Yeah I still have to practice backing and go to our local state park and have the wife guide me in backing into various site configurations. We have a TX parks pass so it doesn't cost anything. I pulled all kinds and sizes of bumper pull trailers for fifty plus years so I still have trouble backing the fiver because of old habits. As they say, practice, practice, practice.

Geodude

I would add two ideas:

1) make sure you're always looking up, to make sure you have the clearance you need; put a label on your sun visor that has your rig's measured height in metric and imperial units (depending on where you roam)

2) when pulling into any parking lot, rest stop, gas station, etc., make sure you can see your way out, before you go in.

Oregon_Camper

VERY interested in this thread. We ordered out 3160 back in Nov...should be here in about 2-3 weeks. I've pulled everying except a 5th wheel. I need some pratice for SURE! :)

Kosanko

A few tips I have learned

1. I have my wife call my cell phone which is connected to the bluetooth thru the truck for handsfree communication, instead of a push-to-talk handheld radio.

2. If I cannot see my spotter in the mirror I STOP until I have a visual on my spotter.

3. Use convex mirrors when making tight turns to keep an eye on your 5th wheel axles clearing the turn.

4. If your truck has an engine brake USE it to save the brake pads on your TV.

5. Use tow/haul mode especially at low speed on highway tow/haul wastes fuel.

6. 5th wheel tires are usually only rated at 65MPH regardless of what the speed limit is.
.a my truck burns 20% more fuel from 60 MPH to 70 MPH

7. Plan your fuel stops because most car gas stations will not accommodate your TV/RV, look for truck stops