Just placed my order for a Bighorn 3585RL. . .

RCF

We've been looking at 5'ers for a month or so. We are trading in our 2008 Rockwood TT - it has served us well, but I envied all the 5th wheel folks in the campgrounds - easier to set up, more room, nicer, more storage, . . .

Anyway, we decided to do it a couple of months ago. So started with a new F350 to tow it (was towing the Rockwood with an '08 Tundra) last month, now have the Bighorn ordered - should be here in ~4-6 weeks I was told.

I've got so many questions it's ridiculous! But here are a few immediate needs . . .

- The F350 is a 6.7L diesel, CC, SWB, SRW 4x4 with the FX4 pkg. I need to decide on a hitch (and possibly a better hitch pin than stock).
Do I need a slider hitch?
Recommendations from anyone running a similar rig?
Am I gonna need airbags for the truck to sit level with this trailer/pin weight?

Any other advice/recommendations/comments welcome!

Thanks!!!

danemayer

Hi RCF,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and congrats on placing your Bighorn order. You'll find many other Bighorn owners who simply love their rigs and I'm sure you will too.

Your F350 can probably handle the vertical load of the Bighorn without airbags. If you check the payload spec of the truck, and the pinweight spec of the Bighorn, you'll have a much better idea. But there are many owners using F350s to tow Bighorns and Landmarks without needing airbags.

As to whether you should get a slider hitch - I'm sure that owners with shortbed trucks will jump in with their experience.

If you conclude you don't need a slider hitch, you might consider the Hensley Trailersaver BD3. It really smooths out the ride. They claim is reduces road shock to the trailer by 80+ percent. I don't know if that's true, but it's something to think about. A lot of people buy a less expensive hitch and go for the pinbox extensions that have airbags/shocks. That's a factory option and you might still be able to add that to your order.

jnbhobe

The truck wpll do fineand probably with no modifacaions. I use air bags to level the load. I used an auto-slider when I had a short bed. With a 3585 you may want air bags.

rmeyer

Congrats, on the new rig. We have had the 3585 since last Sept. We really enjoy it. Am towing with F350 Shortbed, SW. No problems. We have the BW Companion hitch and have had no problems. Have had it turned pretty sharp.

RCF

Thanks for the feedback!

I poured over the GCWR/GVWR/Payload/etc. rating prior to making the purchase. The pin weight listed for the 3585RL is well within the payload rating of the truck (including me, wife, son, and typical cargo). Just wasn't sure how the truck will sit with it - guess I'll give it a shot without air bags, and pick 'em before the second trip if it looks like they're needed.

As for the hitch, I'll admit I have been leaning towards the Pullrite 18k slider and considering one of the "cushioned" pins for the trailer (like the 5th Airborne or Mor-Ride, etc.).