Keyless Entry

jhardin

My keyless entry stopped working. Everything was fine, then when you punched a few numbers the 2 or 3 of the lights would flash and then go off. Next day I tried it again, now no lights or anything, just dead. Any ideas what the problem may be? Thanks in advance!

jbeletti

Battery in the keypad is likely dead. Contact your dealer or Heartland Customer Service (877-262-8032) to diagnose and determine a course of action.

Jim

danemayer

1st thing to do is clean the pins and contacts where the door closes. 2 spring loaded pins near the bottom on the hinge side of the door.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
That's what happened with ours too. Like Jim said - we called Heartland and they had us call the manufacturer and then sent us a new keypad that my husband installed after getting instructions from the manufacturer and we have not had any problems since! Good luck!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
OR, just very carefully pry the keypad off the wall (I used an inch wide metal spackling spreader, just stiff enough to work). The using a small jewels screwdrive, remove the 8 tiny screws holding the back keypad cover. Remove the cover, take out the battery. Replace w/ a new CR0023 (think that's the correct number - they're available at almost any drug store, some supermarkets, Wal-Mart, Target, etc). Carefully clean the area on the trailer where the keypad was attached. Get some 3/4 inch wide self sticking velcro, cut to size, put one side on trailer and other side on keypad - reattach. Worked great for me.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
I agree with boatto5er. Our keyless pad quit working and all it needed was a good battery. The first one I put in lasted about 4 days and it came free from the battery slot. A little "adjustment" to the battery holder and a new battery and all is great. You may also note the door latch needs to be in the last position it was in, when the remote stopped working. We used the key on the door until I got a new battery and when the battery was replaced the latch would only emit a small click. After using the key to shift the mechanical lock to the other position EVERYTHING WORKED ! !

Willym

You don't need to pry the whole keypad from the wall. Just carefully pry off the outer section. The circuit board can then be removed for battery replacement - a CR2032 is required. As someone else mentioned, check that the battery is firmly held in its retainer. You may need to bend some of the retainer tabs to ensure good contact. My keypad stopped working a while back because water had gotten into it after some heavy rain. I ended up applying some exterior tape to the joint between the front of the keypad and the keypad body to seal it. This has worked well, with the keypad staying functional even after heavy rain.

boatto5er

You don't need to pry the whole keypad from the wall. Just carefully pry off the outer section. The circuit board can then be removed for battery replacement - a CR2032 is required. As someone else mentioned, check that the battery is firmly held in its retainer. You may need to bend some of the retainer tabs to ensure good contact. My keypad stopped working a while back because water had gotten into it after some heavy rain. I ended up applying some exterior tape to the joint between the front of the keypad and the keypad body to seal it. This has worked well, with the keypad staying functional even after heavy rain.

On ours, the keypad is firmly held together by 8 very small screws and must be removed from the trailer to get apart. The 8 screws must be removed with a small jewelers screwdriver to get to the battery. I guess Southco used different models depending on the manufacturing date (our trailer was built in Aug 2010).

jhardin

Thanks everyone for your responses, very much appreciated. (Dead battery was the problem) I did call Heartland Customer Service and they advised replacing battery and to remove it from the 2 side tape. I used a plastic putty knife too remove key pad (8 screws on back, used eyeglass screwdriver) and used bug and tar remover to remove excess tape and glue. I then waxed the surface and applied new 2 side tape and attached key pad with new battery and then politely patted myself on the back! :cool: Thanks again!

boatto5er

Good job. Remember how you did it. They don't last long (afterall, they are out in the weather and cold).

Willym

On ours, the keypad is firmly held together by 8 very small screws and must be removed from the trailer to get apart. The 8 screws must be removed with a small jewelers screwdriver to get to the battery. I guess Southco used different models depending on the manufacturing date (our trailer was built in Aug 2010).
Thanks, I assumed that they were all the same. The screwed keypad sounds better. Mine splits, but also lets water in, which if left unattended kills the battery. I've just taken mine off again as snow melt was dripping down from the end of the awning and getting. I needed a new battery after cleaning it out. I'm going to have to make a shroud for it, or maybe get Southco to send me one of better design.