Kodiak hub screw on caps - O-rings

porthole

Retired
If you have Kodiak hubs with the screw on white caps you should probably consider replacing them.
And if you have the clear polycarbonate caps (with the oil fill plug) you should probably get one or two caps as spares.

They can be broken by over torquing or by being a little to rambunctious putting a wheel on.

Here is the Kodiak part for 8,000 pound hubs.

If you have caps that are leaking or seeping I found Viton o-rings on another forum.
I ordered some to have as spares and to replace the rubber O-rings on my spare caps.

The O-ring Store Viton O-rings for Kodiak Hub caps

Attachments

• Kodiak_O-rings_1.jpg
    Kodiak_O-rings_1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Kodiak_O-rings_2.jpg
    Kodiak_O-rings_2.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 41

jbeletti

On my previous coach, I had the white caps and mine failed from assumed over-torquing (by MORryde). MORryde sent me the clear polycarbonate caps and I replaced all 4 at the same time.

porthole

Retired
I guess I should get some of both, I have never replaced any of mine.

Jon,
I broke my first cap the first time I had the wheels off, just bounced it a bit hard putting the wheel back on. I had gotten MOR/ryde to include four spare caps when I had the IS and brakes installed.
The second time I found the threaded portion of the cap cracked almost all the way around where the threads meet the body.

- - - Updated - - -

On my previous coach, I had the white caps and mine failed from assumed over-torquing (by MORryde). MORryde sent me the clear polycarbonate caps and I replaced all 4 at the same time.

Jim,
It seems fairly common across the net that the white plastic versions are inferior or just not up to the task.

- - - Updated - - -

I have always had the thought that when I next do the bearings I was going to try the oil bath route, one of the reasons I was looking for better o-rings. I have seen more then a few RV hubs with oil that leaked or seeped. I chalked it up to the standard o-rings that were installed.

porthole

Retired
I recall you having broken one or two, but not all four at once :eek:

Still waiting for a definitive answer from Kodiak, but my understanding is the correct torque for the clear polycarbonate caps is 19 ft lbs.